Help a girl out

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Kristi Jean, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Kristi Jean

Kristi Jean Active Member

Thank you very much. It was not loaded. Whew. ;)

Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle, Kippy and 2 others like this.
  2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

If there is a good gun smith near you he can give you an appraisal on any of the guns. But let him know they are NOT FOR SALE! That way he won't even offer you a price. You will have to pay for the appraisal, but the cost won't be high.

cec2, Kweeksdraw, Broot and 1 other person like this.

3. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Welcome, ma'am. That's a fine rifle, fine heirloom. I did just want to throw out that generally if registration of a firearm is not required, it is also not possible. What you do is contact your home owners insurance about a firearms rider, once you know an approximate value. They may require serial numbers, or they may not - mine doesn't care about numbers, just values. I might suggest a small safe, if you want to keep all five, just for safe keeping, (no pun intended), and peace of mind. Buy quality, not a WalMart key sheet metal locker. :) Fort Knox is a good outfit.
    Again, welcome to the forum, and looking forward to seeing the rest of the collection. :)

Kweeksdraw, Kristi Jean and carver like this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

We do have a sub-forum "The Buy/Sell/Trade Forum" specifically for that. There are a few rules before you can post there with the main one being you must have 15 posts. You are only three posts away from that number (as of right now). Just read the rules in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Kweeksdraw, joe45c, Broot and 3 others like this.
  5. Kristi Jean

Good idea on safe and insurance. I did not even think about insurance nor realize they offered a rider. I use Allstate and have for 25 years. Thank you for the welcome. :)

Kweeksdraw and carver like this.
  6. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

Your profile does not list a state location, and I'm not a lawyer anyway, but in my opinion, no, you don't need to register them (in my state anyway).

Make sure you have the paperwork that says what they are and that you have inherited them legally. The person's will should list them individually including each of their serial numbers.

If you have that information, you can then sell them or trade them at your discretion. Don't accept a lump sum offer from some opportunist, but you can do that at a local B&M gun store if you like the offer.

As when you took ownership, the sale of each firearm should list the model and serial number along with all the other information that is required on a FFL transfer. If you deal with a local gun store, the owner will have an FFL and have the forms to fill out. This is not the same as "registering" ownership.

Some states might require registration, but I would not know for sure. If your state requires registration, sell your house and move out of state. Whether you sell the guns or not.

7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Boy that is a beautiful rifle! I love the way the initials were done on the stock. Looks to me it's more than shootable, do you know what cartridge it fire's? I am not a gun collector and I don't invest in gun's but I really like old guns especially in as good a condition as that one.

Kweeksdraw, carver and Kristi Jean like this.
  8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Don, the barrel is marked .32 WCF.

9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Kristi, We have a member @bamajoey that lives near Pensacola. Send him a PM and see if he can help you out with your questions.

BTW, I like your rifle alot! Even the carving in the stock. It was done with class. Not some hatchet job

10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Yes, size matters, larger cases can hold more powder and larger diameter or heavier bullets can impart more energy. There are lots of .32 caliber cartridges but only the .32 WCF (AKA .32-20 Winchester) will fit in your rifle's chamber and be safe to fire.

11. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

There is no value to be gained in any form by registering the gun. In fact you may not be able to. You can sell or gift another individual a long gun and in some states a handgun as well with no paperwork needed. The gun is not worth a lot of money unless it were proven to be a factory nickel plated gun. You can check this out by having it searched at, https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/
    They can tell you how and when it left the factory. If original it could be worth a fair money with replaced wood. Factory nickel guns are rare and I doubt this gun is original. If not original the gun is worth in the area of 800 dollars. No serious collector will have any interest in the gun if it is not factory nickel plated.

In order for a gun to have any extra value due to historical purposes it has to has to be well documented, not a letter from aunt Jane or my grandfather knew so and so. It has to be hard evidence such as court records or a will with a serial number. Very few guns are able to be tied to historical people or events.

As for having it cleaned at this point do nothing. If original any cleaning of the metal will destroy the value completely. If it is not original you can do anything you want and not seriously affect the value.

Kweeksdraw, Kristi Jean and carver like this.
  12. Kristi Jean

Thank you. The only reason I entertained registration was for theft purposes as I assumed this helps track it should it be sold etc. illegally.
    But, I’m not sure on that either. Since he had one stolen before I wanted to be cautious and turn every stone to protect that for heirloom reasons not resale.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Provenance! Get the history of ownership of the valued objects from your family. Get it in writing, as much as you can. Photos of the original owner with the gun are priceless! If the provenance dates back to the original owner, then the value of your antique fire arm just went way up!!

Kweeksdraw, joe45c and Kristi Jean like this.
  14. Bert H.

Bert H. Well-Known Member

Model 1892 serial number 130400 was manufactured in January of the year 1900, and accordingly, it is not "antique". You really need to pitch the reference you are using in the fireplace and burn it.

Bert H.

Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle and carver like this.
  15. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Kristi, You are doing a great job with your photos and providing additional info when asked. Keep it up. To keep the different firearms seperate you need to start a new thread for each. It keeps down confusion.