The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old E. Allen firearm that a friend has asked me to value and date. Specifics

This is a falling block rifle with two barrels. The long barrel seems to be 38 Colt long rimfire. The short barrel is 22 rimfire, (short, long, etc is unknown at this time.)

Block is inscribed " E. Allen & Co. Worcester Mass"
"Allen's Pat Sept 18, 1860" the marking is not fully legible.
Bottom of block has "15X" stamped, visible only when the action is open.
Cannot find anything else that resembles a sn.
can't read the patent # on the tang site. Tang site functions great. Action functions, I woulds classify it as loose, however, it may be common for this age. Repair to heel of buttstock. Both bores are rusty. The 38 seems pretty good to the last 2 inches from the muzzle. The 22 is just lightly rusted. The buttstock is beautiful, "tiger stripe" under the grime. The wood is in good shape for age.

Help with value appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

The tang sight should be marked "Allen's Patent 1860"

Flayderman's Guide lists value range from $475 Very Good to $1400 Fine, so hard to narrow the value within that broad range.

Are the barrels serial numbered and if so do the two match?

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Would be nice to see one of those in perfect condition!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HRF, As far as I can see, there are no markings on the barrels. However, I have not removed the 38 rimfire currently on the rifle. I have never seen anything about multiple barrels, but I only get the BB of Gun Values, and the rifle isn't even in there. Posted another four pictures.

There are pictures of a pristine sample on the NRA museum site.
GWD

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.