The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a stevens 44 in 25-20 ss. have called or e-mailed a lot of places i found on the net to get reloading dies. no luck. tuckerd1 put a want to buy notice on here, no luck. because no one appears to make them, [CH4D two years out] i am asking if anyone has come across used sets? in the past members have surprised me with positive results in a situation like this. so i have hope that it can happen again. also anyone know of custom die makers that still do that at a price that is not insane? i saw hornaday wanted what i thought was crazy money to make custom sets. i have not contacted them to confirm yet. so.....HELP!
thanks all

rick

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
I hear you Rick. about 3 years ago when i was going to buy my win low wall there was a nice one .25-20 ss, but looking around for dies and brass it scared me off it. so i bought one in .32-20. which i glad i did. .25-20 brass is hard enough for me to find for my win 1892.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Rick, have you by chance checked or asked on cast bullets or the American Single Shot Rifle Assn. web site? I see a bit on that old cartridge on cast bullets and I think quite a few guys on the ASSRA shoot it.

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
Rick, have you by chance checked or asked on cast bullets or the American Single Shot Rifle Assn. web site? I see a bit on that old cartridge on cast bullets and I think quite a few guys on the ASSRA shoot it.
Good suggestion. Those guys have a lot of knowledge when it comes to older single shot rifles.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Good suggestion from Sharps for the cast bullets website. Bert Hartman, aka Bert H, may know a source, I think he has an 1885 or two in that chambering.
Did some searches, and it looks like CH4D is the only ones making them, and I could only find one place that had them in stock, in Czechoslovakia for 174 euros!

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Found a bunch of new 25-20 dies on EBay. Do an Internet search by typing 25-20 loading dies for sale. First two shown were a set of Lee and RCBS.
.25-20 WCF is a different cartridge than the .25-20 SS. .25-20 WCF is a bottleneck cartridge,.25-20 SS (the SS stands for single shot) is a straight walled case.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,604 Posts
Deleted the post.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Most folks are unaware of the existence of the 25-20 SS or that it was sort of the inspiration for the 25-20 WCF. IF I remember correctly, the 25-20 SS is too long to cycle through the 1892 Winchester so Winchester developed the 25-20 WCF. They certainly aren't interchangeable, as Dave and Joe mentioned.

A few sources have credited the 25-20 SS as the first varmint cartridge. I don't know if that's gospel but it was certainly among the first, if not the first.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Back in the day, Stevens I think it was but I could be wrong, created the .25-20, it was a straight walled case they used in their falling block actions. Then Winchester wanted a .25 caliber round to use in their lever action rifles so they resized the 32-20 WCF to .25 caliber so the older .25-20 round got renamed the .25-20 single shot or .25-20 ss to avoid confusion. And it looks like Vic beat me to the enter key :)

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Well thanks joe! Looks as if I remembered right, that won't cycle through a '92.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Joe, that .25-20 SS looks like a scale model of the .45-70 round. And nope Vic, it won't fit the '92. :) But that didn't stop Winchester from neck sizing a .32-20 WCF to .25 and make it fit in the '92. ;)

·
TFF Chaplain
21,604 Posts
@BlackEagle , Bill, do you know anything about tecmajex dot com
I don't know that site. I looked up tecmajex and it provided some tecmagex references, and it's all in French.

I did find some .25-20 dies on an auction site that got starred out when I tried to post the link. The dies say .25-20 win.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 20 of 44 Posts