The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reloading 100 gn hollow back 9mm(berry's). I've been using CFEpistol but am switching to HP-38.My book says 5.1-5.5, Hodgdon load data online says 3.9-4.4. Who do I believe? And the OAL is different too. Steer me in the right direction,thanks.

·
The Ole Gun Crank
768 Posts
Two different bullets the berry bullet is some kind special combination of bullet design. Use the load data for that bullet.
Hornaday load data is for a FMJ full metal jacket.. Use the loads data for that bullet

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
I have looked at that online data and at my Hornady #10 manual. The Hornady manual does not list a load for HP-38 for a 100 grain bullet, it does have a load for Win 231 (which is supposed to be the same thing) showing the range of 4.5 - 5.3 grains for the 100 grain bullet.

I think I would go with the online Hodgdon data, myself. Whatever you choose keep in mind that the Berry's site says to stay below 1500 fps on their bullets. Both loads mentioned are below that speed.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hodgdon book? Looking in my Hodgdon manual, a 2019 I keep on my desk, the 100 gr "SFIRE" and FMJ are the only 100 gr. bullets with a HP-38 load listed, same with my online check. In your case I would find cast lead data for a 100 gr LRN and try that data, or "possibly" FMJ starting loads. Just wondering, why did you choose that bullet? Availability?

You mentioned load data for two very different bullets. The lower loads you mentioned are for a sintered, frangible bullet, not jacketed or plated and different data is needed, different than the 100 gr FMJ...

Hint for newer reloaders; find a load of bullet, primer, and powder in your published reloading manual before you buy components. You will have good data as soon as you have components and no waiting for forum answers, and no "mis-matched" components.

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Here is what it says, if you don't want to read the link, highlighted (bold)added by me.

Where can I find load data for your bullets?
Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

• The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
  • Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    • Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    • Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
  • Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.

Here are websites with load data information:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Buyers and users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any product or data, whether or not occasioned by seller’s negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. It is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves in safety standards associated with handloading ammunition.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hodgdon book? Looking in my Hodgdon manual, a 2019 I keep on my desk, the 100 gr "SFIRE" and FMJ are the only 100 gr. bullets with a HP-38 load listed, same with my online check. In your case I would find cast lead data for a 100 gr LRN and try that data, or "possibly" FMJ starting loads. Just wondering, why did you choose that bullet? Availability?

Hint for newer reloaders; find a load of bullet, primer, and powder in your published reloading manual before you buy components. You will have good data as soon as you have components and no waiting for forum answers, and no "mis-matched" components.
Yes availability. I normally use Berry's 124(thousands of them).Berry's website says to use FMJ or lead bullet data. I was just confused with the wide difference in data between Hodgdon and my manual. I'll go with the online data.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Here is what it says, if you don't want to read the link, highlighted (bold)added by me.

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

• Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
  • Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.

Here are websites with load data information:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Buyers and users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any product or data, whether or not occasioned by seller’s negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. It is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves in safety standards associated with handloading ammunition.
Thanks I just saw that online myself, so I'll stay with the powder company data. But weird how much of a difference I see between the two. Better to start low anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw on Hodgdon website another bullet SPR FMJ 100gn load data 5.1-5.5 gn powder. So that matches my book info. The first data is for a frangible bullet which breaks up on impact. I might just go with the second bullet.

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
Thanks I just saw that online myself, so I'll stay with the powder company data. But weird how much of a difference I see between the two. Better to start low anyway. Thanks.
About all I ever use anymore is Berry's, but I load the 115 grain bullets, I do like the hollow base bullets!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did go back to Hodgdon's website data and saw another line below that matched my book data. So I'm using both since they match.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I find using Bullseye is one of the best powders. Reload 4 grs Bullseye for both 9MM 120 gr lead ball and 45ACP 230 gr lead ball, works perfectly for me. Some say use a "filler", I tried it didn't seem to make difference

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
i looked in my Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition, just out of curiosity and it listed the 100 FMJ at the higher powder charge as for mentioned by Jonb. the lower charge was for Frangible bullets. Only 2 loads using HP38 in that grain weight in the Lee manual.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i looked in my Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition, just out of curiosity and it listed the 100 FMJ at the higher powder charge as for mentioned by Jonb. the lower charge was for Frangible bullets. Only 2 loads using HP38 in that grain weight in the Lee manual.
I'm loading 5.1 to start. The 5 test rounds went fine.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Today Hodgdon HP38 IS Winchester 231. Hodgdon distributes their own powders, IMR powders, and Winchester powders. When Hodgdon took over this distribution thing they condensed the offerings somewhat by sharing powder under different names (Winchester may have been supplying some of these powders under the Hodgdon names even before this). Hodgdon has a reloading application on-line that is easy to use.

LDBennett

·
Registered
244 Posts
Today Hodgdon HP38 IS Winchester 231.
LDBennett
I always get a chuckle when I see both on the shelf...or selling online. HP-38 is often lower priced than W231...usually $2-$3 per lb. Being a value shopper I opt for HP-38. However, in the latest Natchez catalogue, 8lbs HP-38 is $175.99, while 8lbs W231 is $174.99. Barely worth mentioning, but interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why struggle--use the lowest starting load for safety. Load manuals vary is terms of powder lot used, bullet used, COL used, etc.
Maybe only fire one or two rounds at starting load.
First, for plated bullets, you usually should be using LEAD bullet data for that weight of bullet.
Per Berry's web site:

·
Registered
907 Posts
TMJ is (or should be) a FMJ bullet with something like a gascheck on the bottom.
Unfortunately manufacturers tend to call plated TMJ to make their bullets look better.

Like this, but hard to see in a small picture:

·
Super Moderator
39,152 Posts
Why struggle--use the lowest starting load for safety. Load manuals vary is terms of powder lot used, bullet used, COL used, etc.
Maybe only fire one or two rounds at starting load.
First, for plated bullets, you usually should be using LEAD bullet data for that weight of bullet.
Per Berry's web site:
Deja Vu - I posted that on Saturday and also posted a link to the FAQ's.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With all this about powder, what happens with different primers? Like switching between CCI 500 and Fed 100’s. Without setting up my chrono I can’t tell the difference.

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 20 of 24 Posts