The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son spent 80 bucks of my money for this thing. It is a discontinued model magnetic scale. Anybody have any experience with it? I can't seem to get it to balance at zero properly or consistently. I am really not trusting it right now, but I want to make sure I'm not the problem.

G

·
1. make sure the surface it is on is level and doesn't shake or move too much.
2. make sure the knife edges are seated properly in the plastic notches.
3. make sure your weights are at zero.
4. make sure you have the pan in the hanger.
5. make sure that there is no wind in the area of the scale. No AC vents or open windows.
6. If you still can't get it. Call Hornady at: 1-800-338-3220 They will take their time and get you straight their CS is out friggen standing.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
im bettn you've got a fan blowing in the room nearby. Weighing charges is a sweaty job.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, its not the scale. After checking everything recommended I just decided to try weighing a 135 grain et and an empty piece of brass several times in a row. Each time the scale went back to zero properly. Here are the measurements I got :
135 gr Nosler HP - 133.8 (3 times in a row)
Brass - 68.5 (3 times in a row)
I alternated measuring the bullet once then the brass then the bullet etc. Each time the scale went back to zero.
I was concerned that a 135 gr bullet would measure 1.2 off, then I noticed a rubber band half hanging from the 10's place weight. So I took it off and the bullet then weighed in at a hair below 135.

Then, satisfied with the scale itself I turned my attention to the powder dispenser. It's a Lee Auto Measure and it weighed the 5.4 gr powder charges as follows:
5.2, 5.1, 5.2, 5.1 (3x). Is my powder dispenser that off? I'm using the minimum charge for a Nosler 135 with Bullseye powder. I could also move up the charge to 5.7 which would be within a safe margin of error (max load is 6.4). But I'm still concerned that the powder measure would be .3 gr off. Should I be?

G

·
Yes depending on what powder you are using and in what cartridge.

I don't use the auto dispensers so I don't know how accurate they are. For my 45acp loads my powder measure is set and stays set I still check before every batch I load though. My rifle loads are different I trickle everyone of them.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I do use volumetric dispensers. FOrget what the setting says its throwing. adjust it until it throws what you want it to throw. It may say its throwing 6.2 grains when its actually tossing 5.8. Those settings are there to just get you close.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I was doing something wrong. I checked the 5.7 several times in a row, it was pretty much dead on. So I loaded five rounds of it. Tomorrow night I'm going to take a dryer sheet or something to the hole that is supposed to put out 5.4 and do some more checks on it. Thanks for your help guys. Also JLA would you happen to know where I can adjust that powder charge on a Lee Auto Dispenser?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The only adjustment for the Lee Auto-disk measure is to change disks and use the different volume holes. You'll be moving in steps according to what each hole will throw.
Every powder will measure different through a given volume hole. The markings are just in CCs, you need to weigh the charge on the scale and choose the proper disk/hole for each charge weight that you're wanting.

You can get an adjustable charge bar that swaps in in place of the disk. That will allow you to fine-tune down to a specific powder charge.
I have heard mixed reports of success with it (just like the regular diks in the Lee measure). I don't have one, so I won't pass judgment on it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The hornady digital scale is the only piece of hornady equipment that works for me.

It must be made by someone other than hornady... probably made by the communist chinese.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
To be quite honest I never liked the Lee Autodisk. Its a good tool but not for specific charge weights. If all you want to load is plinkin ammo then pick a lower level disk for the cartridge youre loading and have at it.

My preferred measure is an old Lyman55 ive had for years. Its adjustments are all faded out and I cant read them anymore but its still dead nutz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both your balance and powder measure are operating satisfactorily. You should get several check weights for your balance.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.