The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am in need of the measurements of a savage model 6a .22 calibre rifle. I am specifically interested in the barrel+receiver length as well as the stock, the widest partof the buttnof the stock.

I am looking to make a wooden box to ship my rifle, box will be made of 1/2" plywood, nothing pretty just something inexpensive and relatively secure to ship it in. I don't have the rifle on hand right now.

If anybody has any measurements or a link to measurements it would be much appreciated, I'm trying to minimize volume of the box as I will be shipping cross country and tryIng to save money.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Shipping charges are usually by weight, not volume, and 1/2 plywood is darned heavy. Regular commercial rifle shiprments are in cardboard boxes and there is rarely any problem. If I may make a suggestion, go to a local gun dealer and see if he has a suitable box that a rifle came in. Even though you can legally ship a long gun by USPS or common carrier, you might find it advantageous to have the dealer pack and ship the gun for you for a small fee.

There are some exceptions, but generally guns shipped interstate must be to an FFL holder.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts