Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Help! I picked up a Remington Rolling Block 1871 Rifle and want more inf about it

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dpavelock, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dpavelock

dpavelock New Member

The stock is rough and butt stock damaged but still tring to find out infoi as to exactly what it is, what caliber, approx value (hoping I got a good deal)

Thetag reads something like Remington Illion, NY USA, Pat May Nov 1th 1864,, April 17th 1868, Aug 27th 1867 Nov 7th 1871

See photos rem2.JPG rem5.JPG rem6.JPG rem7.JPG rem8.JPG rem9.JPG rem11.JPG rem112.JPG rem1871a.JPG

2. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

need a close pic of the left hand stock where it joins the receiver for a arsenal mark, not sure its one , but it looks like one. if not it looks like one of many Remington rollers made for many different countries and could be one of many different calibers.

sharps4590 likes this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

You need to put some better pictures up. The ones you have with any markings are so blurry they can't be easily read and the flash has distorted what can be seen. If you take your pictures of the rifle outside in natural sunlight, they will come out so much better.

I don't know why you did the "Reply 1", "Reply 2" and so forth thing, because you just need to wait until the experts to get around to seeing this thread and you will get some responses. I deleted those replies!

BlackEagle likes this.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. We're not ignoring you...it just takes time. Be patient.

We have several old gun experts who will be more than glad to help you once they see the post. They may ask for other pictures.

You will find that we are a great bunch of people here. We're just not on the forum 24/7/365, although we'd love to be here. We have other things we need to get on with.

Meanwhile, enjoy browsing the rest of the forum.

joe45c likes this.
  5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

The easiest and absolutely unquestionable way to ascertain the cartridge and caliber for which it is chambered is a chamber cast, picking up an inch or so of the bore in the process. Then compare dimensions to known cartridges the RB was chambered for. That alone would tell a fella a great deal about the rifle.

As eastbanks mentioned, several countries used the RB as their infantry rifle in the 1870's and 80's; Egypt, Denmark and Sweden just to name three, in addition to the US. They all look similar but there is differences.

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  6. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Direct TV just did a program on that rifle. The sportsman channel GunStories. As I recall it was made in 45-70 and quite a few .43 calibers for various countries. Very strong action and was later used for some pretty stout cartridges. Have fun playing with it.

7. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Close clear picture of the left side of the stock where it meets the receiver. Clear pictures of the receiver each side and any markings there. Picture of the front of the breechblock lever. I think you have a New York State Militia Rifle that has turned brown. These were originally left in the white. The high straight hammer spur is a dead give away. The extra long breechblock lever is another. If it is a NYS rifle then the caliber is 50-70

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  8. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

I was waiting for a picture of the stock to be sure of the US inspector marks and I also think it is a new York gun in 50-70 as OLD GUN posted too

9. robert dean

robert dean Member

Yeah...am thinking the tall hammer spur/long off set block thumb latch/ and the sights...and 50/70?...N.Y State Militia. They kept them in service a long long time.

10. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

As sharps4590 said, a camber cast is the only way to go. Not only were these made in a myriad of chamberings, many were diddled with later, so who knows what it ended up as.

sharps4590 likes this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My first thought was NYS Militia rifle but I'm too unfamiliar with that particular roller to speculate. If that's what you have, you have a treat!!

BlackEagle likes this.