The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this riot gun from grandfather a few years ago and he has had it as long as I can remember. He told me that he purchased the weapon from Letterkenny Army Depot after WWII. It has no maker's stamps. I have included pictures of all the markings that are on the piece.
Is this a Steven's Model 520?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like an authentic Stevens trench gun, but there are fakes and the USA letters appear to have been individually stamped. Are there no other military marks such as the flaming bomb?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no other marks other than the ones I have pictured. My grandfather died 8 years ago aged 92 and he stated that he purchased the gun after the war at Letterkenny Army Depot and that it was an army prison riot gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other concern I have about the gun is that I ordered a Steven's 520 replacement buttplate and it is 5 1/16 inches in length white the original is 4 3/4 long with the screw holes being 1/8 off. I just found the serial number on the stock and it is 49511. I removed the tube and there are no markings on the underside of the barrel or any where else.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Very odd about the lack of markings. Even military stockade guards used standard issue weapons. The lack of military markings ( that stamped USA looks like a 3 dollar bill ), maker markings and serial numbers leas me to believe they have been removed. The number on the stock may or may not be the shotguns serial number. The military did not remove weapon markings. My error, I just re looked at the photos and it does have a serial number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barrel serial # with SP in oval. # matches rest of gun.

An S and M on trigger guard

Number on stock

No evidence of buffing on reciever

Gun disassembled

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Stevens that's almost EXACTLY like this.

No USA stamp, but same markings everywhere else. The serial numbers are even very close.

Definitely has NOT been buffed, just normal bluing wear.

I'm really curious to know what the deal is with these...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
One other concern I have about the gun is that I ordered a Steven's 520 replacement buttplate and it is 5 1/16 inches in length white the original is 4 3/4 long with the screw holes being 1/8 off. I just found the serial number on the stock and it is 49511. I removed the tube and there are no markings on the underside of the barrel or any where else.
Possibly the stock has been shortened.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
It is a Stevens 520. Many of those were sold from Letterkenny in the 1960's for $17 each (no state sales tax), and I bought one. But mine had the normal commercial markings, plus the U.S. stamp, on the upper left side of the receiver behind the barrel. IIRC, there was no ordnance "bomb" or inspection marking, though.

That one does not appear to have been buffed, but the lack or markings is puzzling.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you're saying it's a genuine Stevens and not a Western Field, Montgomery Ward, etc. ?

Any idea what the "s" and the "M" markings are?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whoever (probably our Grandfather) replaced the butt plate on my brothers 520 got the exact same measurements.
20201010_125426[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
Eight year old thread, now closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.