The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,634 Posts
Goforth says all the serial numbers were 5 digits preceded by a letter. I checked the example in my own collection and the serial number is D037xx.
The chart on page 62 of Bill Goforth's last edition shows all third model serials starting with a 4 digit serial preceded by a letter, and dates the gun in question to 1910, as Fuzebox stated.

· Registered
3,634 Posts
I think that I read in a post here that if the gun was blued as a special order, that this would be indicated by some special character in the serial number. Can anyone confirm this?
My gun has been blued by someone other than original, but it certainly does not appear to be nickle plated underneath.
Also, as the finish is not original, and the gun has little or no collector value, can anyone giva opinions on whether/how to reblue?
thanks
Blued finish was just an option for 50 cents extra.

Example special order features were a knuckleduster attachment, extra length barrels, and special grips.

The selection of special order revolvers in Goforth's book have 2, 3, and 4 digit all-numeric serial, with no letter or special characters.

The book is available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=iver+johnson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.