The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new and in need of some help in trying to identify the model of this pistol in order to locate some repair parts I hope. The top of the barrel is marked with "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worcester Mass USA". The left side of the barrel is stamped with "38 S.&W. CTGE". The serial (336051) is stamped in the frame at the bottom of the grip as well as a few other places on the gun. The entire latch mechanism that locks the barrel down is broken and missing so it would be nice if I could find a schematic in order to see what parts are missing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pictures of the gun. Thanks for any and all help with this.

Attachments

· Registered
570 Posts
Check with Numerich. May have schematic to help ID the model, or do a google search. A person can find out LOTS of stuff from the web. Chances are good that Numerich has the parts you need. For just about any firearm.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that Numrich would have the parts, the problem I have right now though is determining the model. There were evidently lots and lots of different model pistols made by H&R. I've already tired to scan through the schematics they have listed to see if one looked like mine but I only found one that looked similar but not quite a match.

· Registered
570 Posts
Check under 'new model large frame automatic'. That should be a 3rd model, 3rd variation, made in the mid to late teens, for the smokeless .38 S&W. No mention of a specific model number or name for these pistols. A quick google search brought up posts and replies from Bill Goforth, who was an expert, here, and a few other places. Any information that he left behind can pretty much be taken as gospel. A phone call to Numerich can also clear up any confusion as to exactly which parts are needed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized in reading some other articles on H&R pistols that I left out some information that may be important for model identification. This is a 5 shot model with a 3¼" barrel. The serial # is stamped on the underside of the area where the barrel latch is located as well as on the base of the frame between the 2 grips.

· Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Here are two photos of the H&R system. One is of the top of the opening device. The other is of the opening device in the open position - I had to prop it up as it is a 'spring-loaded' system.

The rear sight is built into the top of it.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other than blued vs nickle, that appears to be the same thing as mine. I think the only part I need is the barrel catch that has the built in rear sight. From what I can tell on the Numrich site's parts list, there were 2 different styles for this model pistol. One used a coil spring and plunger. I'm not sure what they're calling a plunger but mine has a coil spring and a metal cap of sort that fits over the end of the coil spring and applies pressure to the barrel catch. And that's the barrel catch that they show to be out of stock. :(

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, mine uses a coil spring and plunger. The "plunger" is like a metal tube that is capped on one end. The coil spring fits up inside the plunger and the solid end of the plunger presses against the barrel catch.

· Banned
5,425 Posts
Check with Numerich. May have schematic to help ID the model, or do a google search. A person can find out LOTS of stuff from the web. Chances are good that Numerich has the parts you need. For just about any firearm.
Actually, Numrich usually has the parts that people need listed as 'sold out' 'out of stock' and pretty much no chance of ever getting the parts from them. There are a few other places that do have parts. Often it is worth being patient and picking up the same gun for parts from an on-line auction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.