The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I need help identifying my grandfathers type 99, I have determined it is a Series 1 Nagoya, however, there is a mark to the right of the Nagoya Arsenal mark that I am unable to identify. It is where the subcontractors mark would be, but does not match any subcontractor I could find.

If I'm wrong feel free to let me know. I'm not interested in the value, but would like to know the history. I've attached pictures please help!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to disagree, but I read the entire thread and it seems they are also unaware of what the specific mark in question is. I am aware that my rifle is from Nagoya, and a Series 1. The question I have is about the mark to the right of the Arsenal making, which the thread you mention lists as a "wear" mark.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You obviously missed this from Dragoon 15 (perhaps you are not going past the first page):

Sir,

According to Military Rifles of Japan 1897-1945 by Honeycutt and Anthony the rifle is indeed a Nogoya Arsenal rifle. The symbol to the right is not a tooling mark. On page 17, the third image down in Honneycutt's book there is a Nagoya arsenal mark which is followed by the same symbol that is on your rifle. The symbol will represent the prefecture or city were the Arsenal is located. In this case the symbol is the first phonetic sound "Na" for "Nagoya-shi". If you google "Nagoya" you will find the japanese symbol on your rifle will match the japanese spelling of "Nagoya" -- 名. Quote 1:
"Nagoya Arsenal symbol 1923-1945. The symbol signifies two faboluous fighting fish head-to-head. Since the famous fuedal Nagoya castle is crowned with a pair of golden fighting fish, this symbol was chosen. (location-Nagoya)"

Quote 2:
"Figure 4. Japanese army arsenal symbols. The Kanji character to the right of each symbol, indicating the city or prefecture location of the arsenal, is sometimes found beside the arsenal symbol on the rifle receiver or on major components of the rifle but is normally found stamped on the buttstock behind the tang."

The rifle was made in the first series between 1923-1933. The button is used to release the cleaning rod and not to release the mono-pod.

By the way, you did very well on that rifle...the rifle is worth more than $350.00. Keep collecting these great rifles, you will enjoy them over the years.

Dragoon 15

1 - 5 of 5 Posts