The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am trying to identify a military rifle cleaning kit that I found at my great aunts house while helping her set up a garage sale. I asked her if she knew what era it was from(she didn’t) but she found it in the basement of her house when she purchased it 50 years ago and was selling it for $.50. So I bought it. I took several pictures of it and the only identifying marks I could find are located on the outside of the pouch. It’s pretty neat and I plan on keeping it, I just wanted more information on it
Textile Sleeve Rectangle Material property Magenta

Outerwear Sleeve Dress Wood Collar

Sleeve Red Collar Magenta Electric blue

Sleeve Office supplies Collar Magenta Pattern

Textile Sleeve Magenta Tints and shades Pattern

Office supplies Writing implement Wood Sleeve Magenta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WWII Japanese Arisaka, and $.50 was a good investment, they go from about $350 to $700.
That’s what I was leaning towards because they look very similar but I couldn’t find any Japanese markings on it, just the I 132 on the front of the canvas. I’m from Iowa and the old styling of the “I” looks familiar but I just can’t place it.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
An elderly lady, and ex Sheriff deputy that lives out in the country near me, has a huge barn packed with anything you can Imagine. One day looking things over, we find a belt of blanks for a Browning .30cal, with the manual, and some tools for it. Later we find a Manual and some other things for a Browning BAR.
I asked her where they came from, and she said one of her husbands had worked at Lake City for years and brought home all kinds of ammo and other things, maybe even some guns. Really? Treasure hunt challenge accepted!
Found all kinds of old ammo, even a couple of boxes of Winchester .32/40 and Savage .303 from about 1910. Two weeks going through that entire barn, no guns.
It wasn't until later that I realized I had been had, when she said I could keep all the ammo for "cleaning up her barn".
DOH! Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts