The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here but I recently was given my great grandfathers antique double barrel shotgun. The only markings I can find on it are Birmingham Arms Co and at the top of the barrel it says ghost bore and says Belgium Demascus Finish. I'm trying to figure out the history of this rifle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Pull off the fore arm, remove the barrels rom the action and see if there is any proof marks on the barrel flats. If so, post them. They will tell quite a bit.

And thank you for NOT saying "I was gifted." That is such a gross misuse of the word.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
There's two Birmingham Arms, one in Birmingham, England, the other was a Sporting Goods and Hardware store here in the US. They sold shotguns from a company called Crescent, who imported most of their wares from Belgium. There's 100's of Crescent shotguns with "House brand" names on them, many that closely mimic high end gun companies. I suspect that's what you have. As Sharps said, what is stamped on the bottom of the barrels under the chambers, and/or on the "water table" on the receiver area under that, will tell the story. ELG stamped in an oval is the Belgian proof mark. The "Ghost" bore is "Choke" bore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts