The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm brand new to the forum, although I've looked through it several times identifying some of the old firearms my grandfather left me. I really appreciate the insight and have learned a lot just be reading.

I have one pistol that has me stumped. It's a percussion cap with only one marking that I can see. I have not been able to identify a maker or serial number.

I attached a picture that would (hopefully!) be of some use.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
With a little help from Photoshop. It appears to be a mid to late 19th century screw-barrel boot or muff pistol. Value is in the $100-$150 range, depending on how badly someone wants it. Take clear pics of any stampings if you want more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I have not been able to find any other identifying marks, besides the flower. I have not disassembled the piece, so I wonder if there are hidden markings.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
What is that marking under the barrel--a number? If no proof marks, it was likely made here in the U.S. You may be able to find one that is similar by Googling images of "percussion boot pistol." I wouldn't take it apart--don't think you'd find anything useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts