The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new to the forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have what I think is a 1883 Reich Revolver. I am pretty sure it is a Reich Revolver but Im not sure what year or anything else about it. It has a serial number with an eagle proof next to it. All the pins match the last 2 digits of the serial number, it has several otherbproof marks and what I believe is a regimental mark also. Just trying to find out more about it if anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello & Welcome:
Thanks for joining our little group and thanks for the photos. I'm "electronically challenged" and always jealous of anyone who can post such great photos. I'm also more than a little jealous of your Reichsrevolver. Let me begin by saying that I am NOT an expert on Reichsrevolvers. I admire and appreciate them. Based on your pictures, yes, you do have an 1883 Reichsrevolver. Probably the most notable point is that the grips are not original, but rather appear to be rather awkwardly shaped, "home-made" replacements. Your example was made by Valentin Christoph Schilling & Carl Gottlieb Haenel, of Suhl, Prussia (at least in 1883). You don't mention the caliber. Originally, it was "10.6×25mmR German Ordnance," but they were in service for so long, that was sometimes changed. The only other insight that I may be able to offer is with regard to the unit mark on the backstrap. I.M.I.28.33 means that this pistol was part of the leicht Munitionskolonne, 1. Abteilung, Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 28, waffe nr. 33 -- or in a slightly updated, loose English version Light Munitions Column, 1st Battalion of the 28th Royal Sachsen Field Artillery Regiment, weapon number 33. I wasn't able to find anything on this specific unit with a quick search, however, this unit would have stayed close to Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 28, often abbreviated as FAR 28, and you can find a little about that unit here at -- http://genwiki.genealogy.net/FAR_28
I hope this helps. Keep us posted regarding any more information that you find. Thanks again for joining and sharing.

P.S. There is a unit history of FAR 28 during the Great War where this pistol might have seen service and which I suspect would mention your munitions colonne. -- Georg G. Seidel, Das Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 28. Nach den amtlichen Kriegstagebüchern.... Dresden, 1928, 302 pages. This is also referred to as "Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter. Süchsische Armee. Bd. 50" and occasionally can be found on some of the book websites for 80 to 120 Euros.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Hello & Welcome:
Thanks for joining our little group and thanks for the photos. I'm "electronically challenged" and always jealous of anyone who can post such great photos. I'm also more than a little jealous of your Reichsrevolver. Let me begin by saying that I am NOT an expert on Reichsrevolvers. I admire and appreciate them. Based on your pictures, yes, you do have an 1883 Reichsrevolver. Probably the most notable point is that the grips are not original, but rather appear to be rather awkwardly shaped, "home-made" replacements. Your example was made by Valentin Christoph Schilling & Carl Gottlieb Haenel, of Suhl, Prussia (at least in 1883). You don't mention the caliber. Originally, it was "10.6×25mmR German Ordnance," but they were in service for so long, that was sometimes changed. The only other insight that I may be able to offer is with regard to the unit mark on the backstrap. I.M.I.28.33 means that this pistol was part of the leicht Munitionskolonne, 1. Abteilung, Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 28, waffe nr. 33 -- or in a slightly updated, loose English version Light Munitions Column, 1st Battalion of the 28th Royal Sachsen Field Artillery Regiment, weapon number 33. I wasn't able to find anything on this specific unit with a quick search, however, this unit would have stayed close to Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 28, often abbreviated as FAR 28, and you can find a little about that unit here at -- http://genwiki.genealogy.net/FAR_28
I hope this helps. Keep us posted regarding any more information that you find. Thanks again for joining and sharing.

P.S. There is a unit history of FAR 28 during the Great War where this pistol might have seen service and which I suspect would mention your munitions colonne. -- Georg G. Seidel, Das Kgl. Sächs. 2. Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 28. Nach den amtlichen Kriegstagebüchern.... Dresden, 1928, 302 pages. This is also referred to as "Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter. Süchsische Armee. Bd. 50" and occasionally can be found on some of the book websites for 80 to 120 Euros.
SCK, if you aren't an expert, you'll do until a real one comes along.

I'm impressed....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello & Welcome:

That is insane. Wow. What a great piece of info! You sir are a superstar in my book. Thank You so much.

I also noticed the grips were replaced. They do look very very old though. I wonder what the proof marks with the crowns are? There are a few more marks on the gun also. I'll post a few more pics later today.

Again thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Some additional informations: The S under the serial-no. stands for "Königreich Sachsen" = kingdom of Saxony. The eagle (Prussia) was the first proof mark in this time. The caliber 10,55 (10,6 x 25R) is marked on the barrel.
The finishing proof mark is on the frame behind the grip: AR under crown = Albert Rex (King Albert of Saxony, 1873 - 1902, also General field marshal), the E under crown is the personal mark of proof inspector.
The grips are not original and the ring under the grips on the frame is missing.

M83.JPG

10,6 x 25R
106Revolver.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Between sck and Marblekonus I don't believe I'm ever going to say anything again about German firearms.....:(

Reactions: BamaKev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some additional informations: The S under the serial-no. stands for "Königreich Sachsen" = kingdom of Saxony. The eagle (Prussia) was the first proof mark in this time. The caliber 10,55 (10,6 x 25R) is marked on the barrel.
The finishing proof mark is on the frame behind the grip: AR under crown = Albert Rex (King Albert of Saxony, 1873 - 1902, also General field marshal), the E under crown is the personal mark of proof inspector.
The grips are not original and the ring under the grips on the frame is missing.

View attachment 102332

10,6 x 25R
View attachment 102333
Thanks for the info! Yeah I knew the grips were replaced, but something weird to me about the ring on the bbottom is that there is no evidence it was ever there? ie. No marks or places on the frame that shows it was broken off or taken off. Searching the internet, i have found a few photos of the 1883 model without it, just dont know why it doesn't have it? Anybody have an idea about value? I've seen sold prices all over the place on these things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sharps4590 said:
Between sck and Marblekonus I don't believe I'm ever going to say anything again about German firearms.....:(
Yeah I feel like a 1st grader in the German gun history class at Harvard with these two guys! Lol. How awesome are they though?! Thanks again for the great answers!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts