The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be grateful if anyone can help me know the manufacturer and model of a top break revolver and possible date of manufacture. The background is that my wife inherited the revolver from her father unfortunately he never told her anything about it. Obviously there is sentimental factor so value is not of any concern. I would like to be able to tell my wife more about it.

I have searched forums and the Internet and can't find anything about it. I have seen Iver Johnson and H&R with similar style. There is nothing on the barrel. There is a stamp 25 on the inside of handle, back of cylinder and on hammer. At the bottom of the butt is stamped 740. There seemed to be a stamp of of manufacturer(circle pattern of writing) above the left grip but it is very worn and unable to get any information from it to amount to anything.

CAM00004.jpg

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Is there any text on the barrel at all? A number of companies made these around the turn of the century and into the 1930's. They were chambered in either .32 S&W or .38 S&W. Earlier models were for black powder cartridges.

Looks like this one is missing some parts. They aren't worth very much even from brand names like Iver Johnson. They usually go for about $50 in good condition. I only paid $38 for mine and it functions fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing on the barrel at all. It doesn't even appear as if there was anything to begin with and rubbed off. There is a stamp in a circle pattern with some writing on the gun right above the left grip. It is really worn down but trying to take a guess at stamp; on top of circle it appears to have a T A or F A then at bottom of circle it appears ??BAR. That and the 25 and 740 are the only markings anywhere. I have the rest of the pieces just forgot to put them in photo, sorry. I disassembled for cleaning and hope to find anything more stamped to help identify.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The end of barrel and sight treatment suggest one of the old cheap Belgian or Spanish imports, and with no proof marks probably the latter.

If your camera has a macro setting, take a closeup in better light of the mark, and the pattern at top of grips.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I can't read the mark from the photo, but you should easily be able to read most of that mark though a simple magnifying glass with good light.

You need to keep in mind though that these little top break pistols were all the rage back at the turn of the century. They aren't worth much because there are still so many available and they were produced in such huge numbers. A collector likes to have at least one though ;) and that is why I bought mine. Ammo is available for them, though it is a little expensive. I bought one box of ammo after I bought my lil ole .32 top break. I cleaned it, oiled it and test fired it (that was a hoot since the first rounds I put in it just happened to be old black powder rounds). Now it is basically my truck gun. If I hit a deer and it doesn't die I can stop it suffering quickly.

I had to put down our only breeding buck goat last week because he could not recover from the illness that struck our herd. I used the .38 for that - the cartridges are much easier to find.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The bottom word may be EIBAR, where most of the Spanish guns were made.

It probably dates ca. 1890s to 1914.

I recommend that it not be fired.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I am sorry that your wife's inheritance turned out to have almost no value. I would reassemble it and keep it for the sentimental value, but would not consider using it or even firing it.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the information. I plan to build her a case to display for it. The value meant nothing for her but the fact he collected many guns this was her favorite and a memory for her as a child. All she ever knew was that he said don't fire it. Just wanted to give her any information that I could on it. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts