Help identifying year built, Belgian SXS muzzleloading shotgun

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by gdowns, Jun 21, 2017.

1. gdowns

gdowns New Member

Hello, I have recently inherited a SXS muzzleloading shotgun. I am told it was owned by my great-great grandfather (born 1828, died 1888). From what I could find easily is that the gun was Belgian made (Liege). It is in extremely rough shape so I'm not looking for value, just for a possible date or date range. The side plates and hammers are missing. The proof marks are on the bottom of the barrels. From what I can gather, I think it is 18mm bore with 17mm choke?The marks don't look exactly like what I've found on-line, but not sure if that is of any significance. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 0620172010.jpg 0620172010a.jpg 0620172011.jpg 0605171956.jpg 0605171956a.jpg 0605171958.jpg

2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Other than the provisional proof mark that came into use around 1853 and the final proof was changed in 1891 to have a crown over the oval there is no other mark on it to give you an age.

Given it's a muzzle loader the 17 doesn't denote choke size, it's cylinder bored.

17mm does correspond with 16ga.

About the closest you'll come on it's age is from the 1850's to 1870's when cartridge firing shotguns had pretty much dominated the market and rendered muzzle loading shotguns obsolete.

3. gdowns

gdowns New Member

Thanks Grizzley1.
    Have you got any idea what the mark in the circle means? To me, it looks like an "H" with a semi-circle. Also, do you think this is a gun that would typically be purchased in Ohio in the mid 1850's or would these be near the coast? My 2 great grandfather was in the civil war and wound up near the East coast late in the war. Wondering if he might have picked it up then.
    View attachment 124182

Attached Files:

4. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

The controller of proof at the Liege proofing house would have used a capitol letter surmounted by a crown, but I don't see a crown over it.

They changed from a crown over an initial to a star over an initial in 1873. it's too bad there is no crown or star over the letter H as it could help you narrow the date it was built.

It could have been imported and sold pretty much anywhere that had a "hardware store" or other such trading establishment.