The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am brand new to this forum and hoping that someone can help me out in identifying what type of firearm this is. I got this from my wife's father who just passed away and have no information as to where he got this firearm. I have attached some pictures to help identify this firearm, sword and knife. Also, once it can be identified I was wondering if this can still be cleaned up a bit and fired? I own many pistols and fire those regularly but am curious if this can still function. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
It is a Japanese WW2 rifle. An Arisaka Type 99, chambered in what Norma refers to as "7.7 Jap". Far as I know, they are the only one that makes the ammo.

The ground-area on top of the receiver is where the Chrysanthemum used to be. It is/was a symbol of the Emperor, and when the guns were surrendered the symbol was removed.

Guns with an intact mum are worth more.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
The sword appears to be a standard military Katana - probably a sergeant's. It should also have a mum on it somewhere.

The knife appears to be a bayonet for an M1 rifle.

If you can, remove the forward sling-swivel band, and see if the stock is cut in two. It was quite common for soldiers in the Pacific to smuggle these guns home as souvenirs, and as the stock was too long to fit in a duffel bag, they would saw it in two. They would saw it under the barrel band, and then when the gun was reassembled, the band would hide the saw cut. An uncut stock is worth more than a cut one.

The gun appears in decent shape, and I would not be hesitant to fire it.

Be aware that 7.7 Jap ammo is expensive - between one and two dollars a round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=9888

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/239?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think it's more than just a T-99. It looks to me like a T-99 LONG. The "standard" T-99 is actually classified as a "Carbine". And has a 25.5" barrel.
The T-99 Long (rifle) has a 31" barrel.
Which does yours have?
If a Long, it has more collector value than most standard T-99's.

G

·
The bag appears to be a Japanese prayer bag, Any Kanji or writing on it? Bayonet is a M-1 or Springfield 03a3, uncut short version. The sword is Japanese Army factory produced. The rifle is as they say with absolutley no bells or whistles. This grouping looks to have been a WW2 vets bringhome trophies likely circa post war during liberation, based off pictures provided as a "grouping"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.