The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure: I don't know anything about guns. Hoping the good people on this forum can give me some general direction, or more specifics if you know them. This gun was my father's. It hung above the fireplace all my life. I've been told it's a black powder muzzle loading flintlock. It's a little dusty in these photos (no wear), but it seems like it's in decent shape. Didn't find any clues anywhere except what you see in the photos. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
About all there is to say about it is it's a modern made rifle constructed with modern made parts and whoever built it didn't fully understand how to put it together like the old timers built them and didn't want to sign his work.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Hawg, Whoever built it had some decent woodworking skills but no real working knowledge of how to assemble it using traditional methods. I suspect it was made before the internet and you tube made that knowledge readily available. Perhaps the builder didn't know the trick to drilling between centers to do the lock bolts, tang bolt and barrel and thimble retaining pins. probably didn't know how to do a touch hole liner either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts