The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to this forum, saw a similar post and figured this would be a good place to ask. I was recently cleaning out my grandmother's closet (she passed years ago) and found these. I'd like to keep one and sell the other, but I have no idea their value or anything. Any help would be much appreciated!

There's a shorter one with a really nice looking wood grain and some aged metal work, with some kind of inscription (see image). And then a longer one with two barrels with a separate trigger for each but not inscription or branding.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
Welcome aboard our forum.

This is the general forum, not for getting values on firearms. the topic you want to ask you questions in would be the Ask the pros section. Don't start another thread over there yet, one of our friendly moderators will likely move it for you.

as to the long guns both are from around the 1840,s one is a half stock rifle the other is a double barrel shotgun. I'd say the rifle is the more valuable of the pair. We will need pictures of any inscriptions on the barrels and any proof marks that might be on them.

Ashmore is not the name of the rifle's maker, it's the name of a retail establishment that bought and sold rifles and other "trade" goods. Makers names are typically inscribed on the top flat of the barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard our forum.

This is the general forum, not for getting values on firearms. the topic you want to ask you questions in would be the Ask the pros section. Don't start another thread over there yet, one of our friendly moderators will likely move it for you.

as to the long guns both are from around the 1840,s one is a half stock rifle the other is a double barrel shotgun. I'd say the rifle is the more valuable of the pair. We will need pictures of any inscriptions on the barrels and any proof marks that might be on them.

Ashmore is not the name of the rifle's maker, it's the name of a retail establishment that bought and sold rifles and other "trade" goods. Makers names are typically inscribed on the top flat of the barrel.
Thank you so much. And sorry, I didn't know where I was meant to post.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
Thank you so much. And sorry, I didn't know where I was meant to post.
It happens with newcomers until they get the hang of things here, the moderators are pretty helpful about getting people squared away but sometimes they might close a thread in the wrong category and ask you to create a new thread in the right one, all and all they do a good job of keeping thing organized and keeping us civil with one another.

If they do it isn't a bad thing or a black mark against you, it's just a way to keep things organized. :)

And it looks like one of them has moved it to the right place for you.

Meanwhile while you wait for more responses browse around a bit or maybe start a thread in the introduction forum and let us know a little bit about yourself and let some of our regulars greet you and give you a warm welcome.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
The mark on the shotgun is the Liege proofing house so it's imported from Belgium.

The mark on the rifle barrel is the maker's name, sorry I can't read the name, or I'd look it up and perhaps get an idea of location and timeframe it was made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts