The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an old iver johnson champion that was given to me by my grandpa there is pitting inside the barrel a couple inches past the end of where the chambered shell sits. i know the gun is worth about 50bucks, but since my grandpa passed away im determined to make it the gun my son takes his first rabbit with and price is not an option. any suggestions would help thanks!!!!!

· Registered
34 Posts
light surface pitting or real deep. As a rule the old singles had a very thick barrel at the breech end and then thinned out. If it's just surface it should be ok. A brass brush on a drill should clean her up from breech end. If real deep get it checked out first.
I got my first with the one that was rechambered to .410. It was a 44 When you take your son out 1. Be safe 2. Camera, pictures will be treasured by you forever. Ken U

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I always suggest that if you have a gun that is questionable, have a gun smith take a look at it. It won't cost you much, and the peace of mind that goes with it is priceless. Good luck with the gun, and the hunting!

Welcome, both of you, to the forum!

· Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Carver.

And I also doubt there is anything to worry about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.