The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm completely new to being a gun owner and was talked into getting a h&r model 923 with N50029 on the butt of the handgun. Brown plastic on the handle, 9 shot double action. That's about all I know about it I'm curious to know what it would possibly be worth or any other information on it. I

Attachments

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,443 Posts
Nice little popgun, Yolo! The H&R 923 is valued at about $100 in excellent condition; yours appears to be about a 'good' rating, so figure a bit less, maybe $70. You can have some good fun with that one - they're reliable and fairly accurate, and although no ammunition is fairly priced these days, due to a Communist takeover of the United States of America, there's still nothing cheaper than .22 LR. If you purchased it to learn to shoot, it's not a bad choice. Good accuracy, reliability, and almost no recoil are its best features. If you were talked into this as a self-defense weapon, you need new friends. The ones you have know nothing about guns, or want you dead for some reason. There is nothing wrong with the .22LR cartridge - it's a fantastic practice round. And yes, it can kill, but only with extreme precision shooting. If you are new to shooting, you don't have that level of skill; I don't either, and I'm a certified pistol instructor with 50+ years of shooting experience.

By all means, use this great little gun to develop your shooting skills via practice, lots of practice. By the way, welcome to our forum. Here you will meet people who are unlike those you have known before. People here speak truth, as a rule, and don't cut the slackers out there in media-land any slack for the lies they tell. If Truth appeals to you, you've found a home. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Can't add much more then what was just said . I have not really priced your brand but have seen some non name brand .22 revolvers go 100-200 range lately . It's a good and fun gun to shoot . The caliber is great for a new shooter to start with and it is great for folks that been shooting for years also. I get my .22s out to shoot as much as my other guns . But if you got this for protection only yes it can work for that but does lack some . I know someone who carries a .22 semi auto handgun and her CCW instructor even told her to get a larger caliber when she could . You might check most gun ranges offer classes ,on shooting and CCW . If you are new to guns and don't have someone who knows about gun I suggest doing that to learn #1 safety and #2 how to shoot . If you got any questions what so ever ask away , we ALL WERE A NEW SHOOTER AT ONE TIME IN OUR LIVES !!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
About the only thing I could add is that according to your serial number, the gun was manufactured in 1953. Hope that this helps. Stay safe and God bless!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Good 1st pistol. VP says it’s from 1953, you might want to have a Smith give it the once over if you do not have friends with gun knowledge. Sometimes an old revolver might get loose or a bit out of time and shave lead.

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
Along with a welcome from Arkansas I give one word of caution. Do not dry fire this rimfire revolver unless you have some snap caps or other soft inserts in the chambers. Dry firing empty will destroy the end of the "firing pin" and damage the cylinder
Yup..at least leave spent brass in there...

·
Banned
5,454 Posts
Good 1st pistol. VP says it’s from 1953, you might want to have a Smith give it the once over if you do not have friends with gun knowledge. Sometimes an old revolver might get loose or a bit out of time and shave lead.
Exactly what I was thinking. Whenever you get an old or older firearm it's nice if someone can do an inspection for you.

And have fun and practice when you can. A .22 is a nice place to start your shooting experience. mjp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts