Help on what my gun is worth...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dgtlmn, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dgtlmn

dgtlmn New Member

A while back when my mom died, I was helping my dad go through the house. I knew she had an old rifle, but not growing up with guns I don't know much about it. Anyway, dad gave me the gun. Here are the specifics.

Winchester Model 62 Slide(pump) 22 rifle. Takes short, long, long rifle. Number stamped on it is 40796, but also has a stamp 40796a.

I did a little research and it was saying it was an early pre-war gun. That's about all I know. I'm guessing that means it was made in the 30s since they produced this model from 1932 to 1958 from what I read. I just took it out to shoot a couple weeks ago. I don't even think it's been shot in over 50 or so years...maybe more. It shoots perfectly. The gun is in really good shape...with only a little wear on the metal on the sides on the part above the trigger before the barrel starts. Please excuse my ignorance of the correct terminology, but I am new to all this! :)

Any comments or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

jon

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Your gun was made in 1936 and if it is a nice as you say it is meaning no scratches on the flats of the receiver and no gouges in the the stock and all original your little gun will bring about $1500.00 to the right guy. The model 62 is very collectable and most of them look well used and even those bring 4 or 5 hundred. The little bit of wear on that little part you described is well acceptable. Please keep in mind that you need to keep the gun well protected because just a few scratches on the flats could de-value your gun by hundreds of dollars.

Ron

Ron

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009

3. dgtlmn

dgtlmn New Member

Thanks for getting back to me on this with the info! It's a great little rifle...

4. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My Father in law has one and loves it. It seems that in the last couple of years he has been buying guns from his childhood. It was a big shift in the way that he was purchasing guns, but I think that he is so fond of those early memories, his enjoyment with these classics is better than any with his expensive high tech guns. Sorry for the babble... I hope you enjoy it as much as my father in law does.

5. Near

Near New Member

I have a Dan Wesson 44 mag 200th Commemorative CC610 of 950 issued by the historical foundation. I have the certificate of authenticity. The gun has never been fired and is in ecellent condition. What is it worth?

6. Near

Near New Member

7. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Near,
    I suggest you start a new topic and list the gun model in the subject line.
    You will have much better response.

8. Near

Near New Member

AR1911 Thank you for your reply. I am new at this and I am not sure what you mean. The gun is a 6 shot revolver with 9 3/4" barrel. No model # just serial # CC610. Near

9. AR1911

AR1911 Member

Normally, you would go back up one level to the
    "THE ASK THE PRO'S & WHAT'S IT WORTH? FORUM "
    and click on the NEW THREAD BUTTON.

and start a new THREAD titled

"Dan Wesson 44 mag 200th Commemorative"

then list everything you see about the gun and everything you know about it's history.

By adding your inquiry to a thread/topic already started on a different gun (Winchester .22), your inquiry is hidden from the people who might be best able to tell you about it.

Hope that helps