The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some experienced advice on how to dissolve a mixture of Hoppe’s #9 and Hodgdon CFE that has stuck like gummy glue to the funnel of my powder measure. Degreaser nor alcohol dissolve it. Beginner’s dumb move but would be grateful for some wise counsel.

·
Super Moderator
39,060 Posts
I have never had that happen to a plastic(?) funnel but did have a black gummy mess get onto some brass one time. I tried everything and could not remove it, ended up throwing away several pieces of 45/70 brass. Try a stiff brush and alcohol, might work.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Is the drop funnel plastic as gd mentioned? If it's a plastic uniflow then Midway sells replacements.If you know of an auto shop that still rebuilds carbs, then their carb overhaul dip can will likely clean all metal parts of your dispenser. I't is powerful wicked stuff for cleaning out metal parts.Just don't let it soak too long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never had that happen to a plastic(?) funnel but did have a black gummy mess get onto some brass one time. I tried everything and could not remove it, ended up throwing away several pieces of 45/70 brass. Try a stiff brush and alcohol, might work.
Did try that. Alcohol didn’t phase it. And it totally gummed up my brush. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is the drop funnel plastic as gd mentioned? If it's a plastic uniflow then Midway sells replacements.If you know of an auto shop that still rebuilds carbs, then their carb overhaul dip can will likely clean all metal parts of your dispenser. I't is powerful wicked stuff for cleaning out metal parts.Just don't let it soak too long.
The gunk is in the metal funnel part of the powder drop, not the plastic tube. Someone did suggest carb cleaner to me; another acetone. Thank you!

Acetone maybe????
Another person suggested that also. Will try it. Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Plastic throw it away and learn from your mistake. NO solvents around most plastics as they are mostly polystyrene. You could take a knife to it to remove most of the blob and then sand the surface smooth, but it is just a cheap plastic funnel.
For metal, I would just take more Hoppe's and a brass brush and scrub or soak in solvent.
I love my Lee plastic powder funnel, and would instantly replace it if damaged.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If you try brake clean, make sure it is the non-chlorinated type. Regular brake clean will eat some plastics and wire insulation... BTDT...

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
If you try brake clean, make sure it is the non-chlorinated type. Regular brake clean will eat some plastics and wire insulation... BTDT...
You are definetly correct on the true chlorinated brake clean eating some plastics, other plastics it doesn't seem to bother.But it will clean most metals like no ones business.And you'd better lightly oil the metal immediattely or it will rust quick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts