The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i am really new to reloading and i ran out and bought a few things in haste after reading lees book and some online research...ive literally only loaded the 20 rounds, ill talk about below and could use some help...im reloading hornady 230 gr LRN bullets (.452 dia) with accurate no.7 powder at the 1.275 OAL exactly also using lee lube alox (per the book and availability in a local store, for the powder)...i loaded a few different grains going off the information i got from the book (and info in the handloader im using)...7.7 gr, 8.8 gr, 9.25 gr, 10 gr...i loaded 5 of each and 7.7 was underpowered and very innacurate, so that one was out...now 8.8 gr was the most accurate but left lots of unburnt powder and a bit lacking in umph for a .45 acp(which unburnt powder according to my research means add more powder, please do correct me if im wrong) and here is where the problem comes in, 9.25 gr and 10gr (10 gr being the max recommended in the book) absolutely would not group at all,but the 10 gr did seem to burn better...normally i would adjust around and try to fix the issue, but i looked up and went to accurate's suggested loads for their powder and their starting load was 9.9 gr for that bullet and with the books max load being 10g, there really isnt much room to play, at what i would presume to be safer boundaries, what should my next course of action be? Im not sure going over the suggested max is wise and im assuming that anything below accurates starting load is going to leave large amounts of unburnt powder...any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated, Im not above just switching powders all together if that is in fact the problem

·
Registered
118 Posts
Reactions: jake.js1

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If a manual gives you a certain charge it will be safe and usable, compressed or not makes no difference.
(Cross check if you can)

You can try the 11.0 grns charge which may help getting the charge to burn properly, you can also try a magnum primer who knows.

But unless you really need to use the #7 I would switch to something more suitable. #5 or even #2.

How long are those Hornady bullets? If they are pretty short your oal may be on the long side making the powder burn badly with this powder.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Lyman 49th Edition, page 63-64, cautions against "overly compressed powder charges" and describes some tests to determine if compression is excessive and potential problems that may result. So my "...strongly urge you not to compress..." was incorrect, but I was remembering correctly that I read some cautionary material that might help someone really new to reloading that ran out and bought a few things in haste after reading lees book and some online research. Good luck.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't trust your life for $20.00 worth of powder. Get the right stuff, for instance, try Bullseye or Tightgroup, or something recommended by any manual.

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
Alright so i am really new to reloading and i ran out and bought a few things in haste after reading lees book and some online research...ive literally only loaded the 20 rounds, ill talk about below and could use some help...im reloading hornady 230 gr LRN bullets (.452 dia) with accurate no.7 powder at the 1.275 OAL exactly also using lee lube alox (per the book and availability in a local store, for the powder)...i loaded a few different grains going off the information i got from the book (and info in the handloader im using)...7.7 gr, 8.8 gr, 9.25 gr, 10 gr...i loaded 5 of each and 7.7 was underpowered and very innacurate, so that one was out...now 8.8 gr was the most accurate but left lots of unburnt powder and a bit lacking in umph for a .45 acp(which unburnt powder according to my research means add more powder, please do correct me if im wrong) and here is where the problem comes in, 9.25 gr and 10gr (10 gr being the max recommended in the book) absolutely would not group at all,but the 10 gr did seem to burn better...normally i would adjust around and try to fix the issue, but i looked up and went to accurate's suggested loads for their powder and their starting load was 9.9 gr for that bullet and with the books max load being 10g, there really isnt much room to play, at what i would presume to be safer boundaries, what should my next course of action be? Im not sure going over the suggested max is wise and im assuming that anything below accurates starting load is going to leave large amounts of unburnt powder...any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated, Im not above just switching powders all together if that is in fact the problem
The online book for AA says 7.8 min - 9.2 max for AA# 7. http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/ This is a powder that I use all the time. Along with #2, and #9.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Since you have already determined that 8.8 grs. of AA7 was the most accurate and the gun operated reliably why not just use that load. While there may be unburned powder residue if the accuracy is there then the burn must not be inconsistent.

AA7 is the powder recommended for 9mm and 10mm. It should work fine for 45ACP especially if Accurate Arms lists it in their reloading manual with your bullet of choice. I use W231/HP38 for my 45ACP loads. I do that because it is a pretty universal powder that I keep on hand in large quantities for most all my pistol loads. The proof of the pudding is the eating. If it works for you then go with it.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
There are 4 popular pistol powders from AA. #2, #5, #7, and #9. #9 is usually for magnum loads. They are listed in order of fastest to slowest burning powders. AA#2, or AA#5 are the best for .45ACP, with #7 being the slowest burning powder. That is why you are having a problem with unburned powder. #7 will work, but is not the best choice. Pistols have short barrels, so a faster burning powder is always best, but you must follow the guide lines for the powder you choose in your reloading manuals. When I can get AA powders, it is all I use. AA #2 is listed as 4.3 min, to 5.1 max, for the 230 grain Hornady XTP, my favorite load. Check out powder burn rates here. http://www.egpworld.com/RELOADING/POWDERS/1/BURN_RATES.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone...ill be taking all of this into concideration...i will try heavier loads (probably wont jump all the way to 11gr) and see if accuracy picks back up and seating a little deeper to see if this resolves the issue...and worst case scenario, i will switch to no5...thanks again, youve all been a great help

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
Thanks everyone...ill be taking all of this into concideration...i will try heavier loads (probably wont jump all the way to 11gr) and see if accuracy picks back up and seating a little deeper to see if this resolves the issue...and worst case scenario, i will switch to no5...thanks again, youve all been a great help
230 (P) BERRY RN, min 10.1, 945fps, max 10.5, 986fps. AA does not list a lead bullet load, other than plated for #7. Where are you getting a load of 11 grains? Stick to your manuals! Your health could be endangered!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
One is the modern reloading 2nd ed (lee precisions book) and the other is a pdf doc put out by accurate for their powders... http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf
Take a look at edition 6; http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/ Powders change all the time. Using out dated manuals is not a good idea! You are looking at edition 3.5. I strongly recommend that any reloader find the bullet/powder load in a manual that is up to date, then buy that bullet, and that powder, for that load. You might get away with the 11 grains, and you might not! Lee does not test loads, they just copy for other sources that do.

PS If you email, or call AA they will send you their latest publication free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a ton, that sounds like pretty good advice...i just bought that book about 2 months ago, but the pdf i have no clue and honestly i never payed much attention to the edition,but when i bought it from lee precisions site it did say edition 2 ...i believe ill be buying a couple of other up to date books to cross reference

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
Thanks a ton, that sounds like pretty good advice...i just bought that book about 2 months ago, but the pdf i have no clue and honestly i never payed much attention to the edition,but when i bought it from lee precisions site it did say edition 2 ...i believe ill be buying a couple of other up to date books to cross reference
Be sure to get you edition 6 from AA, it's free. I like to replace my manuals as soon as a new comes out. Well, maybe with in a few months after it comes out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again...so much information out there ive yet to learn, im glad i stumbled onto this forum, everyones been extremely helpful

·
Premium Member
34,531 Posts
Thanks again...so much information out there ive yet to learn, im glad i stumbled onto this forum, everyones been extremely helpful
Jake, you're quite welcome! That's what we are all here for, to learn, to help others when we can, and just enjoy the company of like minded people! and maybe voice a politically incorrect rant on occasion! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts