Help please

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by 68c15, Dec 1, 2019.

1. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

ozdude, Thank you for your reply, but, are you sure the 130, and 250 CM is the correct unit? or did you mean 130 and 250 (MM)? 130 (CM) is a little more than 51", I think that was a 'typo because 130 (mm) is 5 1/8" and overall 250 (MM) is 9.8" which sounds a little better.
    Not trying to start anything just wanted to be clear because I will eventually make one of these knives. I appreciate your reply..............Gene

orion340, ozdude and BlackEagle like this.
  2. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

No you are totally correct, its 13cm x 25cm; 130mm x 250mm.
    Haha yeah its not quite 51" :D my bad.
    Thanks for your correction and absolutely no need to clarify your position, I'll edit the post :)

The way I found out about Green River and Dexter Russel was by a friend many years ago who worked at an abattoir, he swore by them. Dexter Russel is what they all use for knives, at least over here.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019

3. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

I looked them up on the 'net hoping to find a 'spec sheet, but the company that sells them says they are 'out of stock' and don't know when they will get some more. Trying to find out what steel is used making them. I generally use high carbon 1080 or 1095 It is very hard to get the initial sharpening but after that they hold a razor edge forever and all they need is a few strokes on a ceramic or diamond rod.

orion340 likes this.
  4. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Just dawned on me, you said "over here" and you were Australia, may be difficult to get the same products that you have over here?

BlackEagle likes this.
  5. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Have never seen an official statement from the company about the exact type of steel, though most people seem to think 1095. As with a lot of good knife manufacturers, the quality of their steel in the end comes down to their hardening process. Yes agreed on carbon steel for a knife, that's my pref too.
    You know just had a quick look around and I can't see any on ebay, unusually this particular kit is very easy to find as its popular but now when you are looking they are all gone hehe. Have a look at trackofthewolf, they carry a ton of different model blanks. I'd give you the exact link but not quite sure if that's ok on here.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  6. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

dadley.jpg
    No they are a good old made in the U.S.A. knife, easier for you to get than me.
    The sheep skinner model was/is particularly popular with professional New Zealand deer hunters, very well known knife over there.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    BlackEagle likes this.
  7. Phillip Francke

Phillip Francke New Member

I’m not sure about fixed blades, who would make it in the style you’re looking for, BUT, if you can find one made of carbon steel, I would get it. Carbon steel takes, and holds a edge better than stainless models. Case or Kershaw might be good brands to look at.

BlackEagle and ozdude like this.
  8. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

That's an incredibly generous offer, Gene. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this testing.

ozdude, Empty_Holster and BlackEagle like this.
  9. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

I have the exact same knife, purchased at a Mountain Man Rendezvous in Fawnskin (Holcomb Ranch), CA, about 1991. Great knife, and I nearly lost it, stolen by a coworker who pawned it. I saw it on the belt of another, more honest coworker, and offered him $20 above what he paid for it. I still carry it...

Empty_Holster and ozdude like this.
  10. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Glad you got it back! Yeah great knife, yet to get around making a sheath for mine.

11. GeneSC

GeneSC Well-Known Member

Phillip, I only use high carbon steel, 1080-1095 for my knives, NOW, I hope everyone is aware that I'm NOT a accomplished knife smith! I've worked construction my whole life and only started making knives in the last couple of years. I have given most of them to friends who says they are very satisfied with them, Same with leatherwork, and I have turned out some good looking sheaths and holsters.
    Here is an example of my knives
    [​IMG]

12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Very nice work.

That shows some real craftsmanship and attention to detail.

ozdude, howlnmad and Fletch.N like this.
  13. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Nice Gene.

Fletch.N likes this.
  14. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don't know if I agree. Looks like really nice work to me. :thumbsup:

BlackEagle, ozdude and Fletch.N like this.
  15. Fletch.N

Fletch.N Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like those sheaths. Knives pretty nice also.

BlackEagle and ozdude like this.