Help please

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by 68c15, Dec 1, 2019.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Hey Todd,
    I just looked, that Buck knife that we were talking about on the phone is the Alpha Hunter. Available in a folder and straight blade.

BlackEagle and ozdude like this.
  2. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Having trapped and skinned for the past half century, I've peeled a lot of critters. My conclusion is that there is no one knife that does it all. If it does exist I've never found it. Granted I've never skinned an elk, moose or buffalo. But taking the hide off a whitetail is child's play compared to a frozen coyote.
    I use a Dexter "beaver" knife for most skinning chores. But keep a Schrade "Muskrat" folder handy also. When I need to split the pelvis on a deer I use a sharp hatchet. For deboning the meat a short blade fillet knife works wonders.
    I carry a handmade knife my father made for me many, many years ago when in the field. It has a handle made from Hedge apple (osage orange) a very hard tough wood. It works good for field dressing a deer. But mostly carry it because he made it for me. It's a tribute to him that I keep until the day I can't go anymore. Once the deer is in camp I break out the other tools.

BlackEagle and ozdude like this.

3. ozdude

ozdude Well-Known Member

Agreed SilasW, I carry a small foldable saw and a small hatchet too in case I need them.
    The deer I hunt are Sambar which are large like an elk, they are far too big to carry or drag, so I flesh them out and usually make a bag out of the skin for the meat, takes me at least two trips if I'm on my own which I usually am. However if I got stuck with just my Green River, I know it would not break if I had to do some pounding with it, though that's not something I subject any of my knives to. I also always carry a backup knife, usually a Buck 110.

BlackEagle likes this.