The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one help me i need to figure my MV for a spec load 43g H4895 130sbt 22in barrel 270 win I dont know if yhis is possible or do i need a chrono thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,472 Posts
Pretty sure you're going to need a chrony on this one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are way too many variables to get an accurate "formula" for figuring your MV. But, I was reading the data for that powder in an OLD lee reloading manual (couldn't find it in my new one for some reason?), and it shows the starting load for that powder at 42.8 grains with 130 "jacketed", and a "Never Exceed" at 46.0 grains with a MV of 2970 fps. So (not knowing their test barrel length) if you subtract about 5, or 6 percent from the max load MV 2970, it should get you in the ballpark. But, I would borrow someones Chronograph if you really want to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Anybody have QuickLoad? It'll give a good estimate of muzzle velocity...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
For the exact velocity out of your particular rifle, you'll need to chronograph the load.

Hodgdon does have data in their online manual for H4895 and the Hornady 130gr SP.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
start: 42.0gr - 2782fps
max: 45.0gr - 2922fps
Naturally, your rifle might differ from this since Hodgdon doesn't list exactly what they used for the data...typically they use a test action but barrel length varies with the caliber.
I'd take a WAG(uess) that your load of 43.0gr will probably be around 2800fps out of a 22" barrel.

If you do some shooting at various known ranges and know the ballistic coefficient of your bullet you might be able to backwards calculate the velocity reasonably close.

H4895 is a bit on the fast side for optimal velocity vs pressure in the .270 but it does seem to develop decent velocity from the data I've seen. If that's what you've got on hand, it is worth trying.
My two preferred powders for the .270 are H4350 or H4831.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Why such an odd choice for the 270 Win. I have several manuals and not one of them lists H-4895 for the 270. The only place I find data is from Hodgdon. With only one source for data I have to wonder "Why", then I move on to better choices.

I could run QL for you, but it does not jive with Hodgdon data, with no other data sources to compare it would do you little good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bought this powder to load my daughters 270 for a reduced load 30 grains with a 130 grain sierra bt. shoots great arond 3/4 at 100 . i was just playing around with it to see what it would do out of my 270 its cuts holes every time i was shooting h4350 but this (h4895)tightened my group considerably . the reason i need to know my MV because i put a nikon with the bdc on . I was trying to get a better idea than nikons web site for the bdc . wich didnt really work that well i was 16in high at 400 yards i was just trying to save a couple bucks . but ill just shoot it in for each bdcthanks you guys are great .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why such an odd choice for the 270 Win. I have several manuals and not one of them lists H-4895 for the 270. The only place I find data is from Hodgdon. With only one source for data I have to wonder "Why", then I move on to better choices.

I could run QL for you, but it does not jive with Hodgdon data, with no other data sources to compare it would do you little good.
its in the lee 2nd addition that i use

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

my thoughts to until i tried it i was amazed cuts holes all day long

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Your loading manual will give you a ballpark MV. Youll have to Chrony your loads to get what your rifle produces.

Ill also agre that 4895 is generally too fast for the .270. load it carefully. You can get reduced loads with it but it comes at the expense of high chamber pressures. 4064 is about as fast as Id go in the .270.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts