The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First an introduction.

I am getting on a bit, hence the name Sundial ( old timer ).

I am from Oz and have been a shooter for 60 years starting with a .22 Stirling and .303 Lee Enfield.

Some time back I acquired and old caplock pistol. For years it required neither licence nor registering. Recently our state government decided that they required registration.

To register it correctly, I decided to find out more about it, so here I am seeking help.

I will post some pics and info under them and hope that someone may have some ideas.

I have a few, but will not muddy the waters with, perhaps, misinformation.

Here goes.

This is the pistol in question

This is a shot of the front of the trigger guard showing the letters M and P stamped. The M may be a W.

This is the muzzle band showing the P stamp again.

The lock from the outside

The muzzle band and ramrod barrel

This is under the side plate opposite the lock.

Te inside of the lock.

A close up of the spring marked XIII

Not a good shot, but it shows saw marks on the muzzle. I have heard that this was done to accommodate a new ramrod after conversion to caplock, but I am not sure it was a conversion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to know both for myself and to give as much as I can for registration purposes.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Old age is showing.

I forgot to add

1 Barrel length 8.75 inches
2 Overall length 15.5 inches
3 Bore Approx. 0.67 inches I will check it later with a vernier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is one that is nearly identical.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=118793

Yes, it was converted from flintlock to percussion, but I have NO idea why that would require a different ramrod. I suspect the barrel was shortended a bit, but no idea why. I think Cowan's price is a bit high, given the condition of the gun pictured.
Well, mate. You made my day. :D

I have searched the net forever and that is the first time I have seen a mate for mine.

I have been told the barrel was shortened because the metal ramrod that replaced the original wooden one, did not fit.

Thanks again mate, I will use this info in registering the pistol. :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I was about to ask you where you live that you would need to Register an antique like that. But you gave me the answer with "mate".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was about to ask you where you live that you would need to Register an antique like that. But you gave me the answer with "mate".
That's great, China. Yep, I am Oz.

Yeah, we have some pretty strict laws. No autos or semis. Handguns as tough as possible to get, every firearm, even air guns, licensed. Think even a catapult too. Still OK to have a compound bow, but I think crossbows are out. It varies state to state

This even though we were having a decline in deaths by firearms before the ban.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts