help valuing these guns: Merkel and Belgian shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by leonardq, Apr 2, 2009.

1. leonardq

leonardq New Member

This is my first post and I apologize if this is not the right place. I am helping my relative sell her collection and I do not know what range to ask for. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have found Merkel sites but I can't seem to find out what model/year it is.
    [​IMG]

This one is I found out is made in Belgium:
    [​IMG]

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Is the Merkel a double rifle or Rifle /Shotgun. Doesn't matter, Merkels's are high dollar items,. When I say high dollar I mean anywhere from 4 to 20000 dollars. You need a professional appraisal. I'm not sure where to send you , perhaps someone else on the board can help. The Belgium, Some very fine guns have come out of Belgium. however some not so fine guns have come from there. However, I would guess that ony one who owns a Merkel, would not have a junk shotgun. The Belgium shogun also needs a expert appraisl. One place you might start is E-Mail to guns@bluebookinc.com with the heading of Firearm inquiry { migh be deleted otherwise } Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

3. leonardq

leonardq New Member

Thanks for the info Rjay..
    The Merkel is a shotgun/rifle.. the shotgun guage is marked on the barrel, but the size of bullet is not. Anyone know where on the Merkel to look for a model number?

4. Goody

Goody Member

The caliber is marked, it says 30 06 right after the 12 Gauge marking. You might try these folks for some answers, I don't know whether they do appraisals per se or not, but they could send you in the right direction.

http://www.doubleguns.com/index.php

Also found that this is the US Distributer

U.S. IMPORTER
    GSI Incorporated, 108 Morrow Ave.,
    P.O. Box 129, Trussville, Al 35173.
    Telephone (205) 655-8299
    Fax (205) 655-7078
    www.GSIfirearms.com

Ans finally, found this discussion on how to read the date codes on Merkels.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=100489&sid=61535cbe7f83d90e5e9c19cb7866104f

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. leonardq

leonardq New Member

Thanks Goody,
    Great links!
    I thought 30 - 06 was a shotgun gauge :eek:

6. Paul Lewis

Paul Lewis New Member

Ron Looking at barrel of the Merkel it says 12x3006, Its a 06 US load ??
    I own a Merk and a Belgium gun like shown . the Merk is a 201 if i could see more i could tell the year made for the Belg , was a nice gun untill some one got at the screws etc
    Are you interested in selling ? i can be reached @ 352 702 0133 Thanks Paul
    If you want to call me can tell you more!

7. millman

millman New Member

Goody has it right. It is a 12 gauge shotgun barrel over a 30-06 rifle barrel.Merkels are sweet, and that one looks to be a nice one.

8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The Merkel is especially valuable and desirable, as it was made expressly for the American market. European versions are usually 16 ga. with a European rifle caliber.