The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Tool Artifact Metal Blade

I just picked up a stevens 51 for my daughter, and I cannot figure out how to remove the bolt. There is no external release lever. I’ve pulled the trigger with the bolt retracted, and nothing. Any tips?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a single shot , bolt action , 410 from Western Auto , that looks a lot like it ...probably made by Stevens for Western Auto ... If I remember correctly to remove the bolt you had to lift the bolt handle , pull the trigger and hold it back while sliding the bolt out ... the safety had to be on fire ... if on safe it wouldn't remove .
I'm not sure if your safety is like mine ... more photo's would have been helpful .
Note ...don't pull the trigger with the bolt retracted ... lift the handle and move the bolt back just a little (1"-2") then pull the trigger and hold it down ...safety off (in fire position) , and slide bolt out holding trigger back (down) .

If that doesn't work ... a similar model , single shot shotgun , requires the barreled action be removed from the stock and a screw removed to get the bolt to slide out ... yours may be this model .
Gary

·
Super Moderator
47,197 Posts
I did. No luck
I just spent a few minutes at Numrich Arms website, looking at a schematic of the Model 51. Looks like there is something called a "Bolt Stop Screw" on the left side of the receiver near the rear end. I bet if you find that little jewel on your gun, and unscrew it, the bolt might come out. Kinda what Gary said in post #2!!

·
TFF Chaplain
23,412 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did. No luck
My safty is different ... you have the one that requires the action be removed from the stock and a screw removed (or maybe just loosened) to allow the bolt to slide out .
Remove the action and look for the screw ... should be easy to spot .

Mine is the newer re-designed model yours is the older design .
Having to remove the action just to remove the bolt was a pain ...but did allow for complete clean and oil .
Your's is in nice shape and you took some good photo's too !
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some more
My safty is different ... you have the one that requires the action be removed from the stock and a screw removed (or maybe just loosened) to allow the bolt to slide out .
Remove the action and look for the screw ... should be easy to spot .

Mine is the newer re-designed model yours is the older design .
Having to remove the action just to remove the bolt was a pain ...but did allow for
BryMar ,
Did you ever get the bolt out of your Stevens model 51 ?
I'm sure your daughter will love it ... a bolt action single shot Western Auto was my first firearm and I will never forgrt the Christmas day my Dad gave it to me ... one of the best Christmasa's of my Life !
Gary
I did. Thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply. With a 1 year old and a 4 year old sometimes it’s hard to get to this kind of stuff. They’re obviously still too young for it, but at $250 (and with a $150 gift card) I couldn’t pass up buying it now. Thanks again for the help.

·
TFF Chaplain
23,412 Posts
You have your priorities right. Teach the kids while they are young. Be their dad. Too many kids these days don't have dads and society in general suffers for it. So keep on with training your children, and keep us updated as you can.

Glad you got that bolt done; now you'll have to test it out to make sure it works right. And that's good, early pre-planning. Good purchase.

Reactions: BryMar
1 - 12 of 12 Posts