The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Could anyone share some info with me on this little stub nose? The top tip of the nose has ? Wolf Works & possibly Mass USA
I have the serial number and it starts with J. I’d love to find out about how old it is, caliber, if it’s safe to fire, and the value. It appears to be in very good shape. I inherited this when my parents died. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
42,041 Posts
I'm not an expert in anything but I have seen enough of these threads to kind of recognize an Iver Johnson owl's head. You might want to take that left grip off and take a pictures of the left frame and SN# that might be there. I think that the full serial number is the key to putting an accurate age to it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Your revolver is an Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works 2nd Model Safety Automatic "Cycle Model".
It's chambered in .38S&W (NOT .38 Special!!!) and was designed for use with black powder ammunition.
It was made in 1903.
Hard to say if it's safe to shoot from a couple of pictures. That's best for a competent gunsmith to determine.
Value wise it's worth maybe $125 - $150 tops provided the chambers and bore are in good condition and it's mechanically sound. The blued finish and short barrel were factory options. But somebody had been in it at some point as the hammer spring is not original and they modified the frame a little to get that spring to fit.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson 2nd Model Safety Hammerless Automatic manufactured in 1903 and is chambered in .38 S&W. It is considered a black powder cartridge gun and not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

Take a photo of the top rib of the barrel so we can see if it had been shortened or was originally a short barrel.

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
I’d like to reiterate that this revolver is made for black powder ammunition only and NOT modern smokeless ammo. Black powder ammo can be found however before I invested the $60-$70 a box I’d have the gun checked out by a competent gunsmith to get the all clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
You have an Iver Johnson 2nd Model Safety Hammerless Automatic manufactured in 1903 and is chambered in .38 S&W. It is considered a black powder cartridge gun and not safe for modern smokeless ammunition.

Take a photo of the top rib of the barrel so we can see if it had been shortened or was originally a short barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your revolver is an Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works 2nd Model Safety Automatic "Cycle Model".
It's chambered in .38S&W (NOT .38 Special!!!) and was designed for use with black powder ammunition.
It was made in 1903.
Hard to say if it's safe to shoot from a couple of pictures. That's best for a competent gunsmith to determine.
Value wise it's worth maybe $125 - $150 tops provided the chambers and bore are in good condition and it's mechanically sound. The blued finish and short barrel were factory options. But somebody had been in it at some point as the hammer spring is not original and they modified the frame a little to get that spring to fit.
I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
714 Posts
It didn't start life as a "Cycle Model". Somebody cut down the barrel and put a sight back on it.
There are samples out there where the factory had to cut down barrels to keep up with "Cycle Model" demand where the sight is set in with the barrel markings but this isn't one of them.

Value in this case drops down to $75 - $100 tops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It didn't start life as a "Cycle Model". Somebody cut down the barrel and put a sight back on it.
There are samples out there where the factory had to cut down barrels to keep up with "Cycle Model" demand where the sight is set in with the barrel markings but this isn't one of them.

Value in this case drops down to $75 - $100 tops.
Thank you for the info. I’m sure my dad probably got just for a conversation piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts