Help with cooking a salmon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 1:09:29 pm)
    Help with cooking a salmon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I got a big old salmon that was given to me. It is hard as a rock from being in the freezer. It has the head removed and has the guts removed.

I do not want to smoke this one. I need to know a good way to prepare and cook it.

I know this much

1. Thaw out salmon
    2.???

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 1:31:56 pm)
    Re: Help with cooking a salmon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Man, there are so many way to cook salmon. It grills nicely, it broils nicely, you can strip it off the bones and make salmon patties...mmm. My wife even grills some, then makes it into salmon patties.

Here is what she says:
    (Hi Jason)

You can bake it skinned with a sauce of raspberry jam and soy sauce (Sean Young-style) guesstimate about a half cup soy to one small jar jam.

Bake with olive oil, lots of fresh minced garlic and a bunch of rosemary in cavity (salt and pepper lightly, if you like)

After baking and with the left overs use one egg, 1 cup more or less cracker/bread/cornflake crumbs, 1/2 cup mayo (reduced fat works great too)and if you like some onion, either chopped, dried or pureed in food processor. Press into patty shaped and brown in oil in skillet or bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until firm. If you do smoke a portion of the fish and make salmon patties, I recommend honey mustard dressing . mmmmmmmm

(end Karen's advice)

Let us know if you have questions!

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 1:32:17 pm)
    Piggy, I never thought I would be giving coocking lessons on the board but here goes. We like salmon marrinated in soy sauce for about 15 minutes and then put on the grill. Don't over cook! Depending on weight of the fish and age and size, you might want to cut in steaks and put it on the grill after marrinateing. But if you grill the whole fish and have left overs just make salmon pattys out of what is left, that is after you have removed the bones.
    cointoss2

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 2:06:53 pm)
    Reply Re: Help with cooking a salmon
    Warpig
    My wifes favorite is to mix mayo 1/3 and parmaesan 2/3 , spread over salmon and add onion circles over top , bake intill it flakes with a fork.(done)

My favorite is ceder plank salmon, To do this you will need a 1x8 ceder plank that fits the BBQer and the fish, or a untreated ceder roof shingle works well. prefrabaly new.
    soak the plank in water so it wont burn, put olive oil on plank so the fish wont stick, (skin side down) put whatever you want on the fish, Onion slices, lemon wedges, salt, pepper. BBQ. intill it flakes with fork. The smoking ceder plank gives the fish a distinctive flavor that will tantalize your taste buds. You can reuse the 1x8 plank. but a shingle is only good for one time.

Here is Emerills recipie.
    4 (3x untreated ceder shingles soaked in water for 2 hours, vegetable oil for brushing shingles
    4 salmon fillets
    salt & pepper

Preheat grill to high. Remove shingles from water and brush with oil on both sides. place on grill and allow to heat through, about 10 min. Remove to a sheet pan. preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Season salmon with salt & pepper. then sear on all sides quickley. Place a salmon fillet on each shingle and cover sheet pan with foil. place in oven and cook intil just done. about 5 to 8 minutes.

Edited by: ysacres at: 2/8/03 3:05:27 pm

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 2:27:28 pm)
    Piggy, look up cedar plank salmon. it is a method of grilling a salmon on a cedar plank that is supposed to be to die for.

You'll have to look like on "google"

Hey, Bin Laden, our women can kick you butt!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 3:05:39 pm)
    Tho't you're supposed to discard the fish and eat the plank - or was that for carp?
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 3:50:19 pm)
    Danged lumber yards are not open until Monday. I got a chunk of pine with some creosote on it

Keep em coming. I might have to try the cedar one come Monday if I don't here something better.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 6:42:29 pm)
    Reply I got a idea!
    Just "Thaw and Eat"...That's what sum a dem ol' boyz I work with do...

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 9:51:56 pm)
    Reply Re: I got a idea!
    Those cedar planks are hard to beat. However, not admitting to being a former Northerner, use Mayo on the outside skin (both sides), wrap a 1/4 lb stick of butter along with rosemary in its gut with onions and garlic outside and bar b que to your delight. When done, remove skin and any dark colored meat (blood meat) from the salmon before serving. The blood meat is bitter.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 10:01:03 pm)
    Re: I got a idea!
    Is the skin removed when using the cedar?

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 10:04:23 pm)
    Reply Re: I got a idea!
    No, after and then the blood meat
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 11:28:03 pm)
    I eat salmon at least once a week and really like the way my wife cooks it.
    And it's simple,just like you piggy.

1 Coat fish with olive oil

2 Rub on Paul Prudomme's Blackened Redfish Magic

3 Broil,bake,or pan fry

4 Serve with a side of Capt Morgans

5 Enjoy

Seneca Bow
    (2/9/03 6:03:53 am)
    You should find something at this link.
    www.wildgamerecipes.net/f...forumid=48

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 8:26:48 am)
    Hi Seneca Bow......welcome to TFF!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/9/03 9:19:00 am)
    Boomatic, ask Karen if the skin is removed before baking for her recipe?

Same for yours SXS, skin it before or after.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/9/03 11:00:37 am)
    Karen say...nope.

Boom-a-tic

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/9/03 11:20:17 am)
    Leave skin on,eat or give to dog like I do (good for his coat too).

She usually cooks,but I have cooked this and it still tastes magnifico!

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/10/03 2:00:52 am)
    The best recepie I've found is:

Place in a frying pan, and add 1 1 1/2 cups soy sauce (depending on the size of the salmon)

1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar

1 stick of melted butter

Heat until well mixed and the brown sugar is disolved. Add the salmon and let marinate, flipping and basting often.

Place the salmon on tin foil on the grill, and cook until done (do NOT over cook it). This mixture is very flamable, and will flame up. If it's too cold out for the grill, you can also broil it.

This combo works well for pork loin as well.

Damn, it's 2am, and now I'm hungry

Evan

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/10/03 10:02:28 pm)
    My gut hurts
    I just got done eating several pounds of salmon meat.

Boomatic, tell Karen thanks

I was going to do the cedar thing but did not feel like driving 15 miles to a lumber yard.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/03 11:22:25 pm)
    Reply Re: My gut hurts
    Would you please turn your head, Piggie?

Your breath smells awfully fishy!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/11/03 3:29:04 pm)
    How do you cock a salm........ Uh, sorry. I misread the title. Must be too many guns on my brain.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/03 3:30:34 pm)
    Piggy, will do...which one did you do?

Boom-a-tic

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/03 3:35:56 pm)
    Slice thin, pack with Kosher salt, cover with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for a few days.

Oy Vey! Good with the bagel, ya know.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/11/03 4:03:46 pm)
    I did Karen's recipe Boomatic

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/03 8:40:52 pm)
    Okay, I thought she gave you 2 plus a patty recipe.

Boom-a-tic

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/12/03 9:45:35 am)
    Wasn't nothing left to make patties out of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.