Help with Identifying 2 bolt action rifles

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by j.stull, Apr 4, 2009.

1. j.stull

j.stull New Member

Hello all, came across this forum just now and was wondering if anyone can help me out with finding out what these 2 guns are worth.....I moved into a new house that was previously owned by a older man whose family moved him down to florida and found these 2 rifles up in the attic the other day. I know nothing about this so have no idea where to start but there is a local ohio gun show at a expo center this weekend and was thinking about taking these up there to see if anyone is interested in purchasing them, but wanted to get some kind of info before I do so I am not ripped off if I decide to go.....I have pictures of both guns but not sure how to post them on here so if anyone can explain the process to me on how to add photos I will gladly add them. But for now I will try to describe them...............the first is a Springfield Armory with engraving of "model 1898" and to the right of that it says "149234".....there is a little rust on a few spots but the wood is in very good condition(atleast I think so).........2nd is tougher to read, didnt see any words on it but right above the bolt action it reads "S/27" and under that it says "1937" it is a very light wood finish.....any help would be greatly appreciated and like I said if someone can tell me how to post pics in this thread I will gladly do that, I have about 5 pics for each one.

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

S/27 Erma, Erfurt 1936-38 Is the code for German Mauser. You have a Mauser 98 mfg in 1937. If the there is not import marking (Usually on the barrel) it may be a GI bring back increasing the value. Value will vary by condition pics will help.

The other will be a 30-40 Krag. Bolt action, horizontal box magazine fed, .30 caliber in either long or carbine form..

If either rifle has been is not in it's original form the the value will be less.

Many factors come into play on the type rifles in regard to value

3. j.stull

j.stull New Member

thanks alot for the reply, still undecided on what i wanna do with em

4. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I would suggest takeing them to the range and deciding if like them before you sell them. If you decide to sell them do not go with anyone saying anything below about $900. I love shooting both of those guns so that would be my price, unless of course they are worth more :)

5. j.stull

j.stull New Member

so your saying 900 for both?

6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

7. j.stull

j.stull New Member

and minus about how much if there is some rust in a few spots on one of them?

8. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

It depends on the amount, severity, how many spots, that kinda stuff but take away $75.

9. j.stull

j.stull New Member

sorry if im asking alot of questions but have you ever went to one of these gun shows? do people there usually buy guns like the ones I have??

10. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I've been to quite a few gun shows, but I always go to the one in New Bern N.C. and people are always selling old bolt actions, but not once have I seen a Mauser 98 there. I always ask and they assure me they will have one next year. But It seems no one wants to sell those 2 guns.

11. j.stull

j.stull New Member

thanks alot for all the info man...appreciate it

12. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

No problem, any time.

13. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

j.stull,

Maybe it's just me, but I cann't help but think if I were in your position, that I would not try and contact the former owner and let them know what you have found. I don't think that when you bought the house you knew, or intended to buy a couple of some what valuable rifles. These are personal articals, and perhaps the old boy just forgot about them, and a family member might have wanted to keep them. Put your self in their shoes and see how you would feel....maybe it's just me again, but it is the right thing to do. Kirk

14. j.stull

j.stull New Member

Oh I totally agree my friend and I have contacted them. I did not talk to the older gentleman that lived in the house prior to me because he has alzheimers. But I did contact his family and told him about my findings and even offered to send it down to them but they said no thanks even after I told them that they could be worth something becuase they are so old. I would never just find something like this and not try to contact the owner, probably should have mentioned this in my original post

15. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Be proud of yourself.....Some folks these days would not have taken the time, or even considered this. You are a gentleman. Best regards, Kirk