Help with nailing a date down

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rdratliff, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rdratliff

rdratliff New Member

I recently inherited a .410 ga. shotgun from Mississippi Valley Arms. Through a bit of research I've found it to be American (crescent). So, that puts it between 1900 and 1930, I believe.

How would I go about nailing down the date. I'm hoping to have a plaque engraved for the display case I intend to keep it in. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

As far as value, the shotgun is in excellent shape with the bores looking almost new. I have heard from family members that it hasn't seen a whole box of shells in it's life. The wood is all original and there is very light pitting on barrel near breach. The rear sights are missing, but brass bead is intact.
    Breakover is smooth and tight with no side-to-side wiggle at all.

2. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Yes the gun was made by either Crescent , W. H. Davenport Fire Arms or Stevens Arms & Tool Company. All three makers made guns with this name for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis Mo, a large wholesale sporting goods dealer. The only way to determine the date of manufacture is for you to furnish the serial number of the gun (if it has one) and a good photograph. Also a description of the gun, is it a double barrel or a single barrel. Value of old guns is determined by condition, the amount of original finish remaining and mechanical condition. By the way, shotguns do not have rear sights, only front sights which is a bead.