The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this from my dad after he passed, was wondering if it's any good and if it's sellable or collectible? They are all ready to shoot. They are 30-06 if I put that right

·
Super Moderator
43,508 Posts
Doesn't look like ammo to me, just empty "cartridge" boxes but they may have reloads in them. It says it accommodates 6.5 Jap, 31 Jap, 30/06, 270, 8mm, 34-40, etc.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
In all likelihood they are handloads, not factory loaded ammo. The Sierra load data sticker has the components load info penciled in. The power could either be Hodgdon H-4895, or IMR 4895. If it H-4895 at 50 grains of gunpowder it's 1grain under max for current Hodgdon's load data. If it's IMR-4895 it's 3 grains under current IMR load data. At 50 grains of gunpowder with a 150 grain bullet the cartridges are 30-06. The bullets I assume are Sierra. The primer is CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum.

Check everyone of the cartridges to see if they have any corrosion which would be slightly ruff brown spots of crusty green.

Nutdeal81, Did your late father have any ammo loading equipment ?

·
Super Moderator
43,508 Posts
If your father had an M1 Garand and these are some of his reloads, this load (150 grain bullet with 50 grains of IMR 4895) is a duplication of M2 Ball Ammo for a Garand. I still say that looking at the boxes in the picture, if there is ammo in those boxes, they are reloads. I didn't even notice that label on the lid of the ammo box until PRR1957 mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
For me the fact that he had to ask say's don't shoot them! if they are 30-06 bullet's pull them and weight some to see what they are, save the bullet's. Dump the powder on the flower bed and re-use the primers that are already in them! If he doesn't know what they are, we damn sure don't simply looking at a photo of some old box's! Of course if he has a supply of spare body parts just in case, go for it!

·
Super Moderator
29,643 Posts
For me the fact that he had to ask say's don't shoot them! if they are 30-06 bullet's pull them and weight some to see what they are, save the bullet's. Dump the powder on the flower bed and re-use the primers that are already in them! If he doesn't know what they are, we damn sure don't simply looking at a photo of some old box's! Of course if he has a supply of spare body parts just in case, go for it!
Going by the data sticker on the lid, that data is within Hodgdons safe zone for both IMR 4895 and H4895.

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
Going by the data sticker on the lid, that data is within Hodgdons safe zone for both IMR 4895 and H4895.
If the rounds are loaded with what is on the sticker and if dad didn't accidently over charge or undercharge any of them. Me, I don't shoot unknown reloads.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
If it were me, and my father passed this down to me (and he was a knowledgeable shooter/reloader) I don't think I would question the ammunition. If you aren't confident/certain - pull it down and reload it yourself with fresh powder. As George said - they appear to be .30 M2 duplicates.

Normally it is my personal practice to NEVER shoot someone else's reloads. The only exception to my personal rule is that my late Brother also reloaded, and knowing how meticulous he was I trust HIS reloads as I trust mine. That is my one exception. I won't have to worry about it because his widow will never pass any of his guns or ammo (including ones I gave him) to the family - but will most certainly sell his guns and ammo at a garage sale. She is filled with the milk of human kindness......

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
Jim, there are only two people I'd trust their reloads, one of them currently has his manufactures FFL and is now a remanufacturer. He mentored me when I first got into reloading. The other gentleman I work with and I know how anal retentive he is about reloading, He mentored me on loading black powder rounds for my Sharps.

·
Super Moderator
29,643 Posts
This is turning into another one of those "I didn't load them and I would dump them" and "if you trust the loader, shoot them" thread.

I guess we should really pull factory loads apart and dump them. We don't know who made them...

·
Super Moderator
43,508 Posts
Well, when I come to the get-togethers, I bring my own ammo. Everything but rimfire, I load myself. If any of y'all are there, and you want to shoot the guns I bring, you better bring your own ammo, if you don't trust me.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Maybe I should clarify my "I never shoot anyone else's reloads".

I won't shoot them in my guns. You hand me your firearm loaded with your ammo - I'm happy as a clam to shoot it.

Shared this story before - but here goes again. I had just bought a pristine Winchester M1 Carbine - beautiful high wood stock - fantastic condition. A guy I worked with also reloaded, and insisted a bunch of times that I try his .30 Carbine loads. Not to hurt his feelings, a agreed and loaded up my little Carbine. Fired a couple of rounds (the sound and recoil were different from mine as I load to GI Specs and he reloads for maximum performance). About shot number 4 - something flew past my face.

A chunk of wood from the recoil lug area had broken off. So much for my pristine 60 year old stock. If someone hands me a reloaded cartridge to shoot in my firearm, please don't feel offended if I decline the offer. Just a habit I got into.

BTW - this was the same guy with my "Slam-Fire M14". I took up a '93 Mauser (7X57mm) and my M1A. I had two separate ammo cans - one with 7X57mm Mauser and the other with Ball M-80 7.62mm. He was a former Marine, and asked to shoot my M1A while I fired the old Mauser.

Pretty soon this guy starts laughing. He says to me - 'Hey Jim, I've never seen a 'Slam-Fire' M14! I figured he knew what he was doing - shooting the M1A - I figured wrong. He was trying to fire 7X57mm Mauser ammo, and every time he let the bolt fly forward it detonated the 7mm cartridges. The inertia from the bolt sent the firing pin forward, and although the round wasn't fully chambered or in battery - it went off.

Lucky there was no damage to my old Match rifle or to him.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Maybe I should clarify my "I never shoot anyone else's reloads".

I won't shoot them in my guns. You hand me your firearm loaded with your ammo - I'm happy as a clam to shoot it.

Shared this story before - but here goes again. I had just bought a pristine Winchester M1 Carbine - beautiful high wood stock - fantastic condition. A guy I worked with also reloaded, and insisted a bunch of times that I try his .30 Carbine loads. Not to hurt his feelings, a agreed and loaded up my little Carbine. Fired a couple of rounds (the sound and recoil were different from mine as I load to GI Specs and he reloads for maximum performance). About shot number 4 - something flew past my face.

A chunk of wood from the recoil lug area had broken off. So much for my pristine 60 year old stock. If someone hands me a reloaded cartridge to shoot in my firearm, please don't feel offended if I decline the offer. Just a habit I got into.

BTW - this was the same guy with my "Slam-Fire M14". I took up a '93 Mauser (7X57mm) and my M1A. I had two separate ammo cans - one with 7X57mm Mauser and the other with Ball M-80 7.62mm. He was a former Marine, and asked to shoot my M1A while I fired the old Mauser.

Pretty soon this guy starts laughing. He says to me - 'Hey Jim, I've never seen a 'Slam-Fire' M14! I figured he knew what he was doing - shooting the M1A - I figured wrong. He was trying to fire 7X57mm Mauser ammo, and every time he let the bolt fly forward it detonated the 7mm cartridges. The inertia from the bolt sent the firing pin forward, and although the round wasn't fully chambered or in battery - it went off.

Lucky there was no damage to my old Match rifle or to him.
and with what words did you thank him?

rick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts