Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Help with US Revolver co

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CreepyDiggi, Apr 14, 2018.

1. CreepyDiggi

CreepyDiggi New Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

3. CreepyDiggi

CreepyDiggi New Member

Bought this in a yardsale. Serial number is 39037. The wood on the grip is missing a little paint on the bottom. And the gun has a few scratches. I would like to know from what year this is and how much this is worth. Im sorry if i didnt give enough information, i dont know alot
    about guns.

2018-04-14 21.43.42.jpg 2018-04-14 21.45.23.jpg
    2018-04-14 21.44.00.jpg
    2018-04-14 21.45.54.jpg
    2018-04-14 21.46.33.jpg
    2018-04-14 21.47.22.jpg
    2018-04-14 21.53.13.jpg

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Is it too late to get your money back, The gun is badly corrected and the rust and such has been covered over with house paint. It is a black powder frame but I would not even shoot it with black powder. Sorry about that, but I don't think it is fit to even hang over the fireplace. I hate to be negative but please don't try and shoot this gun with out having it looked at by a gun smith, it was made between 1910 and 1936 . Can't get any closer that that with out knowing if there is a letter prefix under the left grip. Sorry about the bad news but into each life some rain must fall on your parade .PS: Those are home made grips , not original

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. Shrek73

Shrek73 Well-Known Member

US Revolvers were made by Iver Johnson using surplus 2nd Model Safety Automatic frames after they converted to the 3rd Model in 1910. They were sold thru mail order and were cheaper than the standard Iver Johnson, and did not have the safety features of Iver Johnson. The original finish would have been nickel or blues, and it would have had rubber grips with US at the top. Based upon the barrel stamping it appears to be an earlier model, because Iver Johnson added a Made in USA stamp in about 1915 or so. There were actually alot of lower quality copycats made in Europe who tried to cash in on the success of these inexpensive revolvers.

As RJay pointed out, it is considered a black powder frame and is not safe modern smokeless ammunition. Black powder frame means that it should only fire black powder cartridges thru it. Smokeless or modern cartridges
    too much pressure and could damage the gun. The were chambered in .22 RF, .32S&W and .38 S&W.

Your gun has many issues, most noticeably the cylinder gap. That gap between the cylinder and barrel should bee within .00" or so, and yours appears to be about 1/8".

These generally don't carry much value, maybe $100, and in this condition it is worth maybe $25. Not many gunsmiths will work in these as the cost of repairs often will often exceed the value of the gun. They are fairly simple to work on and most people who collect them learn how to repair them.

6. CreepyDiggi

CreepyDiggi New Member

7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Before they painted it someone used a wire disk to clean off some of the rust and crud. the paint was used to cover the rest. No one likes to be told this but yyok got snookers. but hey, I have been there and done that. I still have a gun I brought in good faith,I keep it to remained myself how dumb I was. We all have those little gems either hid away or buried in our memory . we do not like to talk about them:)

in our memory