HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 3:46:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All HELP!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am auctioning a 1917 S&W .45acp revolver on GB. I have been asked if it can be shipped to C&R FFL holder. The serial # is 471X. Any info would be a bigggg help.

Thanks!

Steve

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/3/02 6:47:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: HELP!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chief,

I believe it does qualify but someone should
    be along soon to verify, I suggest you also
    read the "does it remain C&R?" topic in this
    forum too.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 7:56:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: HELP!!!
    Chief - I do believe thay are C&R and transferable as such.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 8:51:29 pm)
    Chief, while the only SPECIFIC S&W 1917 .45acp revolvers listed on the CR list are those "made for Brazil..."

I believe it would qualify under the: "All properly marked and identified semiautomatic pistols and revolvers used by, or mfd. for, any military organization prior to 1946..."

Even if you DON'T fall back on GunRunnerJohn's famous catch-all "Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof."

Most of the S&W 1917s that were used in service had "United States Property" stamped under the barrel, and "US Army Model 1917" on the bottom of the butt on the frame.

If it has these you are Golden.

Plus, Canfield says the WWI ones were blued, but most were redone and parkerized before issued in WWII...and had smooth grips after the rebuild, too...all also had lanyard rings in service....

And if that actually IS a 4 digit serial number, it is early maybe WWI production if blued, and worth more...S&W was contracted to make the 1917 AFTER the Colt 1917 was also ordered in WWII, and they made like 150,000 before the production was stopped in 1919...and prior to 1941 there were still over 91,000 S&W 1917s in "reserve," and most were then rearsenaled when the war started...plus S&W made a few thousand more in 1941...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/4/02 12:09:51 am)
    It is clearly a four digit serial number, with a capital S right above the number. It is parkerized but was done long ago, it still has the grey color but has been worn smooth. BUT, it has no military markings whatsoever. I guess to be on the safe side I should have the fellow send a regular FFL.

Thanks for the info..

Steve

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/7/02 1:47:02 pm)
    I wish AD or somebody would chime in here, BUT I thought ALL S&W M1917s were made for the military, actually no civilian model of it if in .45 ACP...it was actually another model rechambered specifically for the military...SO I still think you would be OK for the CR...

Does it at least say "Model1917" on the bottom of the butt?

I would think it wouldn't be CR eligible ONLY if it was another civilian model rechambered, and made AFTER 1952...and I would doubt that it was...but then I'm not for sure....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 8:18:09 am)
    I think you are making the transaction more difficult than it needs to be. My book says that the last 1917 was manufactured in 1949, which would make all of them C&R guns. Why make the guy pay $20-25 for a transfer when he doesn't have to?