help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ksummer70, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

ive always wanted a pistol grip 12 g.shotgun,ive been looking in gunshops and and they are about 350 and up,i have found a mossberg maverick for 100 bucks and i can get a pistol grip for 20...but...it has a long barrel with the rib on top,can i use a pipe cutter and cut this down and it be safe??maybe safe isnt what i meant to ask,i just wanted to know if using a pipe cutter would be better than a saw,if its legal,and if i can take the rib off, cut and reinstall it also.
    i just cant pay 360 bucks for one.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Just take the rib off and cut with a hacksaw. a pipe cutter can crush and deform the muzzle also it will leave a ugly ring around the muzzle end from the steel clamp wheels. Take your time, don't use too much pressure otherwise the blade can skew and go off track. square up the end with a file. Remember when you cut off the end of a barrel you cut off the choke. So if you don't want a open choke you can install a after market adjustable choke. If you have vented ribs cut the barrel were a riser ends otherwise you'll have a piece of rib sticking out w/o support plus it looks ugly.
    Just remember-keep it legal....18inch barrel is minimum. I don't cut any shorter than 20". 26 inches overall length is minimum for it to be legal and with a pistol grip you need to take that into consideration. you may end up with a longer barrel than you like but law is law.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

3. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

thanks man,i thought 100 was a good price for the gun and i can order the grip...

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

100 is a great deal especially now days since things are going nuts

5. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

6. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

you are right,ive been thinking about that all day,then i would have both barrels and the stock,and the grip

7. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

just to add a thought...considering that my 28 in.accu-choke barrel sales for twice as much as an 18 it sure would be nice if i could trade it,but i dont guess they are in as much demand

8. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

i checked the ga. law on sawed off shotguns a min ago,it says the barrel cant be under 18"INCLUDING the chamber,i thought the barrel itself had to be 18"

9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

when the speak of chamber they mean where the shell sits in battery (breach end) to muzzle end. the chamber is part of the barrel. On some shotguns that area is fatter then the rest. This is not to be confused with the receiver which has the working parts of the gun. If you dissasemble a shotgun and basically unscrew the barrel out of the receiver like most pump actions you end up with a threaded end and the muzzle end. The threaded area is not part of the measurement. Measure from the breach face ( the part of the barrel that makes flush contact with the receiver) to the muzzle end.

10. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

what r you calling the end of the reciever?,i should have cut it a little longer,but i didnt,i had a 28 in barrel and i cut 9 3/4" off of the barrel,my barrel isnt threade but it has a section that wont fit in but one way....you can actually see the end of the barrel inside this peice(looks pressed on)that slides down in the gun itself,if you put a shell in the barrel its 18 inches from just past the primer of the shell to the muzzle.now if you actually attach the barrel the part of the barrel that you can actually see to the end of the muzzle is just shy of 18.

11. SARG

SARG Member

Use a dowel rod and put it down the barrel with the chamber closed. Scribe the dowel at the barrel end.....pull the dowel out and measure it to the line you've scribed. If it's under 18" you've made an expensive error.

12. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

thanks sir...and i take it that if its atleast 18 its good,the thing was,i work at a wrecker ser.and we use a welding shop down the rd.,i stopped in to ask what hed charge to cut it,he said bring it right back and hed do it for free...he was going on a road ser. shortly,all done in haste.
    anyway im sure the dowell will be atleast 18 im going to check,have to get a dowell.

13. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

the dowel thing came out to be 18 3/16th inches...what do you think? ofcourse i know i cant hold anyone to it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  14. SARG

SARG Member

If it measured over 18" you have a legal barrel.

15. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

thank you...i got lucky,i apreciate you fellows and your knowledge