Helpful "family tree" of S&W 1st-3rd. Gen. all-metal handguns.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Laufer, May 21, 2020.

1. Laufer

Laufer Member

[​IMG]

Hope this helps a few people, and possibly helps a few avoid misrepresentations and deception regarding what might be available to them.
    I'm 64 and my handgun interest only began around age 60.

Until recently searching Youtube to disassemble/clean a friend's S&W 1911, this other classic S&W series was Totally Unknown to me,
    and after lots of reading about reliability, a friend said that he had one available.

* With so many variations, searching for a specific model usually produces No results about so many other, similar variations.

My first all-metal S&W is a nice 5906, and what an ultra-reliable tank!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020
    rawright54 and grcsat like this.
  2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

The model 459 is so accurate that I used one in comp. ( right out of the box with no mods done) while my Colt 45 was being built.
    I used to shoot three gun "formal" which is a match using three different cals.
    That would be 22 ,32, 9mm/38, or 32, 9mm/38, 45.

Last edited: May 22, 2020

3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great reference material for what can occasionally get kinda confusing regarding Smith's model numbers. Here's one that's out of left field, the so-called FBI Model 459 - one of 803 produced back in the mid '80s. Fixed as opposed to adjustable rear sight, matte finish, matte black nylon grips. 20180127_150723.jpg

grcsat likes this.
  4. Laufer

Laufer Member

nmckenzie: if I had not already acquired--for carry—a Sig P6, CZ PCR and Walther P99, I might have looked for a classic S&W lighter than my 5906.
    It was acquired as an interesting range gun, and not only because of its weight.

I would need to look up the weight difference (Wiki), but is yours a carry gun?
    Superb exterior finish.

Last edited: May 24, 2020