The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I called the Directorate of Defense Trade (DDTC)to ask about some information for ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regarding a reloading business I want to start. What I found out is that the only people they control are those who "mass produce" ammunition. For those who "hand load," (which is what I am doing) you do not have to register. This is a huge relief for me because I cannot afford the $2,250 per year fee.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I believe you are still subject to our BATFs manufacturing ('06) permit for producing ammunition to sell. Regardless of exporting or not. Not sure if being bonded/insured is required, but sure a good idea. (I use your ammo, get hurt whether your fault or not, sue you for everything plus a little.) Chances are, you are alteady aware of all this, but throwing it out there anyway.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The devil is in the details; who is defining mass produced? I can crank 500 rounds in one evening. This would classify as "enough ammo to hold off a small army" in the eyes of liberals. Furthermore, a basic progressive press and some dedication can generate ten thousand rounds in a few weeks. I'd get some solid info on "mass produced" before moving forward, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Today I called the Directorate of Defense Trade (DDTC)to ask about some information for ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regarding a reloading business I want to start. What I found out is that the only people they control are those who "mass produce" ammunition. For those who "hand load," (which is what I am doing) you do not have to register. This is a huge relief for me because I cannot afford the $2,250 per year fee.
The first thing you need to do is hire a lawyer! If you can't afford $2,250 per year for registracion, you just might be barking up the wrong rope from the get go. I can assure you that there is no way I'm buying ammo made by some one I don't know, who has no business lic., no insurance, and no idea about the laws governing ammo prouduction in his state, or in his country! My brother reloads, and I can assure you that I'm not going to be shooting any of his ammo, unless it's a life, or death situation!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Need to be a little more clear. What do you plan on doing? Making ammo for sale here and abroad? How much?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to be a little more clear. What do you plan on doing? Making ammo for sale here and abroad? How much?
Just going to reload them and sell at trade shows for right now. I absolutely refuse to sell anything abroad. Maybe a few years down the road, if I can get this business going, I may branch out and sell through out the continental United States.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts