The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a Long Ranger in .223/5.56 so I can use what I already have for ammo.
The extra 4" (20" barrel) gives it a little velocity boost over my AR (~150 fps).
Shoots nice and brass comes out relatively cool (can catch with my hand, if I wanted to).
It is fun to work a lever action while shooting! Helps conserve ammo as well.

Henry_LongRanger.jpg

·
TFF Chaplain
18,854 Posts
That's a nice looking gun. I like lever actions; have a Marlin in .38/.357 and a BLR in .243. They are satisfying to shoot.

Will we get a range report some time soon?

·
GUNZILLA
5,961 Posts
That is a good looking rifle. Nice purchase, congratulations.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a nice looking gun. I like lever actions; have a Marlin in .38/.357 and a BLR in .243. They are satisfying to shoot.

Not sure what a range report is exactly, but here's some numbers acquired with a Magnetospeed Sporter chronograph (the values circled with red are repeat values, left them in the calculations):
upload_2020-9-27_8-47-41.png

Looks like 25.5 grains has the best extreme spread and standard deviation.

·
GUNZILLA
5,961 Posts
A range report is nothing more than a review of what you think of your rifle, how it shoots, how it grouped shots at whatever distances you shot and most important pictures of the target and rifle.

I do not know how experienced you are with reloading or shooting but many novice shooters seem to chase speed when they reload it's the cool factor for them. I always reload for accuracy and which ever loads gives me the best group is what I stick with. I shoot all my different loads without really knowing velocities as accuracy is my goal. Once I find the load with the smallest group shot. I load 10 additional rounds of the exact same load and run them through a chrono. I do this afterwards because the magneto speed chrono will change your point of impact, but it does not matter because now I am only interested in getting a 10 shot averag for velocity so that I am aware of the ballistics for that round at with that load at various distances.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Loads with 55 grain bullets and 27 grain seems really hot to me. I get my most accurate rounds around 25.4 grains of H335 (this is with 50 and 52 grain bullets). That hot load may be OK in your rifle, but I think in mine it would be waaaay over pressure or at least bordering on over pressure.

BTW, never nice looking rifle

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Loads with 55 grain bullets and 27 grain seems really hot to me. I get my most accurate rounds around 25.4 grains of H335 (this is with 50 and 52 grain bullets). That hot load may be OK in your rifle, but I think in mine it would be waaaay over pressure or at least bordering on over pressure.

BTW, never nice looking rifle
I'm a couple of 10ths under you for my best load, RC. 55 grain FMJs and H-335 powder in all 3 of my ARs. Higher velocity means nothing without accuracy. Just means you are beating up your rifle and brass for nothing if you go chasing maximum velocities.:twocents:

·
TFF Chaplain
18,854 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The intention was to find where the curve flattens for velocity, supposedly that is better for accuracy. I only shot this at the 25 yard range to get some numbers. I also shot my AR for some numbers as well. The AR settled out at 25.4 grains, so I'm loading that for both so I don't have to keep everything separate. Going up to 27 grains was just to get some data. I agree that max velocity does not correlate to best accuracy from everything I've read.
The next step is going to 100 yards with a lead sled. Last time I tried one of these it didn't really hold the aim by itself, even with max weight loaded on it (I think it was 20 or 25 lbs).
Is there a technique for keep the sled from moving around or do you just re-aim for each shot?
I was really hoping to take the human variable out of it.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,854 Posts
I don't have a lead sled. I just aim using my bipod or rest and factor the "human factor" into my accuracy test.

·
Super Moderator
38,436 Posts
I have a lead sled but haven't used it in years, I would have to fight the resident spiders to be able to use it. I use a rest and a sandbag when I shoot.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts

I knew a crusty old cowboy outfitter years ago that used a beat up BLR in .243 for elk. He killed a good bull and a cow every year for many years, he said he had one big bull that took two shots to kill. He also told me that all his shots were under 100 yds. That old cowboy picked his shots carefully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts