Henry 44 mag bad luck or cheap?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BigT, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BigT

BigT Member

My one month old Henry Big Boy went to the range on Saturday for the first time. After only 8 rounds, the outer mag tube came loose and slid forward out of the barrel band. Looks like it is just cheaply crimped in place during manufacturing. Henry already responded to a deeply dissatisfied email and assured it would be fixed. Still bumbed that I have to wait for the return label, drive to ups, send it off, and wait for its return. Probably could have fixed it myself, but decided I wouldn't be happy from here on out, IMG_20170109_182222_hdr.jpg that it happened in the first place. Anybody else have any problems like this?

2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

No but keep us informed on this. I was thinking of buying one in 45 colt.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That just flat out sucks.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The word cheap doesn't come to my mind when you talk about Henry - never seen a cheap one, especially those big boys! Yeah, that would bother me a bunch!!

BobMcG, Kweeksdraw, joe45c and 4 others like this.
  5. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Definitely not cheap to buy, but could be cheaply made. That is very disheartening to have an event of such magnitude happen after only 8 rounds. My condolence .

6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Seems that Henry's reputation might be sliding. This is the second or third thread I've read about QC problems. Sounds like they still have a good warranty and did what they could right away. Let's hope it was a fluke and you have never to deal with it again.

Kweeksdraw, joe45c and carver like this.
  7. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the looks of it the way it is, holds 12 rounds ! o_O

Serious: That suck's , factory new and it breaks :mad:

8. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I bought, and still have, a Mossberg 500E probably 30 years ago. First outing the extractor broke just a couple rounds in. A local shop was an authorized warranty shop and they fixed it without question. Haven't had a problem since and I'm thinking every now and then a part is weak out of the gate.

9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this problem with your Henry rifle. Sounds like they want to make it right. I'd give them a chance to correct the problem. Seems they have a good reputation and want to keep it. Keep us posted!

10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I haven't had a single problem with my Henry other than it's hard to find enough ammo to keep it fed.

Granted it is a .22 not a .44 mag but on mine the quality is top notch, I hope you just got a fluke and they make it right but yep it sure does suck having a brand new gun need to go back under warranty for a problem it should never have had in the first place.

11. Bud Edwards

Bud Edwards Active Member

I'm sorry to hear of your problem.
    But as I have gotten older I don't let things bother me as much as they used. Any product whether it is a car, an appliance, or a gun can have a problem. What matters more to me is how the company handles it.

12. Swifty Morgan

Swifty Morgan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Henry Golden Boy in 45-70 and probably shot 20 rds and had no problems yet

shootbrownelk, Kweeksdraw and carver like this.
  13. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

My dad and his friend bought some Henrys and both of them had problems. One of the problems is exactly what you're is doing. They got them fixed, my dad's rifle had to be sent back twice.

I hope you get it sorted out!

14. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Only Henry I own is a .22. I bought it used and it's accuracy is fair. I wouldn't buy another because IMO they are way over priced. Local shop has one, well used, with the brass type receiver in .44-40. Asking price is $850.00 Not bad guns but just too much for what they are.

15. John Sloan

John Sloan New Member

Not bad luck! This is the second time I've seen this exact same Problem happen. Henry, just like other companies are trying to cut manufacturing costs and in doing so are letting their QC slip. Like other people have said, they are way to pricey to not have the assurance that they were inspected properly!!