The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just aquired this fine Rifle, and was wondering if you here had any advice on the Proper brreakin and Starting loads, Market or Reloads. The only ammo I have been able to aquie to date is Speer Gold Dot 210 HP. There is no way I will have a Weapon without some Ammo for it. Open for suggestions.

I'm new here and this is my first Post, I was in the U.S. Navy from 1959 - 1967, Vietnam Vetean non Combatant Stationed on an LSD and AO the latter is a Floating Gas Tank, the Former was a Landing Ship Dock, which I was on when we went up ther Bancock River to deliver Marines to the Back door of Laos 1962.

I reload and shoot targets, Emphysema restricts my mobility a bunch, but it ain't gona Stop me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome aboard Kelly. Others may differ but I don't think I'd do a complicated barrel break in on the Big Boy. Just a thorough cleaning the first several times you shoot and use copper solvent to find out if copper is building up.

You'll definitely want to reload the .44 mag. simple enough for pistol ammo. Enjoy the Henry. I was in the Navy during that period (anti sub squadron VP-46).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard Kelly. Others may differ but I don't think I'd do a complicated barrel break in on the Big Boy. Just a thorough cleaning the first several times you shoot and use copper solvent to find out if copper is building up.

You'll definitely want to reload the .44 mag. simple enough for pistol ammo. Enjoy the Henry. I was in the Navy during that period (anti sub squadron VP-46).
Thanks for the feed back, Thanks for your service and Welcome Home!

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kelly. I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Welcome Kelly! I have the Henry Big Boy in .44. Love it! I use all of my .44 pistol rounds in it, new or reloads and it shoots quite well. It's got what I thought was a pretty good kick til I got a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45/70.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kelly! Shoot what ever ammo you can find in that rifle. I have the Marlin in .44 mag, and it eats what ever I put in it, including .44 special. Lead bullets, FMJ, hollow points, soft points, and ballistic tipped, it don't matter. Shoot it, reload for it, buy ammo off the shelves, enjoy, and have fun! The Hornady ballistic tipped bulltes (lever evolution) will shoot flater, so you will have a different point of aim for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the welcome, and your tips, Question have any of you used the .44 Mag Rifle Loads? May be a redundant question but for the most part I heard Of the shelf and Pistol Ammo, as well as the .44 Special, shooting Lead, which personally I shy away from not because it is bad I just don't like cleaning up the lean fouling and with Emphysema I try to stay away from the Lead Dust and Dirt, if you follow my meaning.
I would be interested in any sucesful Rifle Hand Load Data. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost for got, is there a place to be notified of a reply to any of my post so I don't have to search te entire Board to find where I placed a New post?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts