The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'be got kind of an odd situation that I'm needing this rifle for. I've got some public land nearby that has a coyote and possibly wild pig problem. I say possibly because I've only seen one in the many times I've been there. Now they'll let you hunt there but only with centerfire rifles during February. Any other time of year you can only use rimfire, bows, or shotguns that are legal for hunting small game.

So I've been searching and found the platform I'd like to use. I've been researching the .17HMR and the 22WMR Henry lever actions. I'd just like some opinions from someone who has used them. The shots will be between 1-200 yards. I'm leaning toward the .17HMR, but I have a pistol that can shoot .22WMR, so it doesn't matter either way. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Redd - are you sure you want to use a rimfire on a wild pig? You must be a whole bunch faster than me. 'Course I'm an old guy. Got that way by not hunting wild pigs with rimfires.

If it was me, I'd be looking at a shotgun, and likely a good pump. Not too much will get past a good 12 gauge pump with number 4 or better (mine's an 1897 Winchester) and start knawing on you. They will also ruin a coyote's day. Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have one of my carry pistols for back up. And these pigs are the garden variety farm pigs some idiot let go cause he thought it'd be fun to hunt them. I'll probably never get a shot at one, this will mostly be a coyote/groundhog rifle.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The rimfire magnum Henry leverguns are on the same quality level as the .22LR models. Good if you like em. I think they're overpriced for what you get, but they are fun little shooters though. I'd look at a Savage bolt action for a cheaper alternative myself...but they aren't near as fancy looking as the Henrys. :)

But...
Domestic (or feral domestic) pigs aren't any easier to drop than their wild cousins.
A .17 isn't gonna cut it as most of those bullets are designed for varminting and are really thin-jacket designs. They'll blow up in the gristle and probably never get to the vitals or brain.
Yeah, come butchering time our weapon of choice is a .22lr or .22Mag rifle. But that's right up to the head and they're not PO'd and charging towards you or running away giving you the brown-eye shot.
If you sting a domestic pig with too small a round it'll turn into a nasty critter just like their wild cousins. They have one heckuva a set of teeth on em and it's a long slow heal.

For coyotes, a .22Mag is a good 100yd rifle. I wouldn't want to stretch the range to 200yds though and I'd still want to be prepared for a quick follow-up shot.
I can't say for sure how the .17HMR does on coyotes...a few guys up here use em and swear by them for short-range (100yd and under) shots.
My choice is a medium sized centerfire though. .223, .204, .22-250, etc with the .204 being my current favorite. I reload, so it's cheaper to feed a .223 or .204 than one of the rimfire magnums. Your situation might be different though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts