The Firearms Forum banner

Henry Rifle Question?

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Ralph 
#1 ·
I am new to this site. I found it two years ago this month and then somehow lost it. I found it again yesterday, so here I am. Before I get to my questions on this gun, could someone tell me how to post pictures to this thread and how many can you post at one time? I'm just an old dummy when it comes to these here computers so please bare with me. Thanks so much.

#2 ·
Click the blue button that says "Post reply". That opens a larger box to write in. At the top of the box are a lot of icons. On the right of the smiley face is a paper clip. Click the paper clip and a box opens, allowing you to upload a max of 4 pictures from your computer to the board. If you have more than four, just do another "reply", and you can do four more.

Simple.

#3 ·
Okay let's see if this works. I bought this gun some thirty years ago and have researched it to the point where I can tell you that it is a Henry Rifle made at the Boulton Gun Shop in Pa. around 1870 or so. This gun is not old enough to be a muzzle loader and not new enough to be called modern. It is a 32 rim fire swivel breech single shot rifle. As you can see from the pictures, this gun is in super condition and is all original. When I was cleaning this gun over the years, I noticed that every piece, both wood and metal, that comes off this gun is stamped with the number 2. That seemed a little strange to me for a gun from that time period, but then, what do I know?

Now here is my question. Can anyone here give me an idea to the value of this gun. I have had it down to the Boulton Museum and they said that it is a Henry and the nicest one they have seen. They have ones on display but most are used pretty heavy. At the museum, several of the people wanted to buy it but said they didn't know what it was worth and that I should put a price on it. One guy said, here's $800.00, I buy it. I can't find the value of a gun like this on line or in any books I looked at. Can someone here maybe help me with where to look or what this gun could be worth?

Attachments

#5 ·
The maker of the Henry rifle can trace their family of gunsmith's all the way back to 1750 and were the one of the first to make what was later called the Kentucky Rifle. Here are some more pictures of how the action works. I know the pictures are not super clear but at least it gives you an idea. You can find more about them if you google Jacobsburg Historical society. By the way, it's a great place to visit.

Attachments

#8 ·
If I were you I'd contact one of the auction houses - maybe Southeby's. I'd bet that rifle is worth a lot more than $800.

#10 ·
HRF---The guns at the museum were all inside display cases so you could not see if they had like numbers but the guy who was on duty said he didn't think they did. You can't see a number on my gun either until you take it apart. At least you kind of know that the gun is all correct with the numbers matching. LOL

#11 ·
A gun with just a 2 on it is, in my opinion, most likely one of a matched set. They'd be numbered 1 and 2. And with guns back then being, pretty much, hand made, or at least hand-fitted, the numbers on all parts would make sure you did not, somehow accidentally, put #1's hammer on #2, or #2's sear into #1.

#12 ·
A gun with just a 2 on it is, in my opinion, most likely one of a matched set. They'd be numbered 1 and 2. And with guns back then being, pretty much, hand made, or at least hand-fitted, the numbers on all parts would make sure you did not, somehow accidentally, put #1's hammer on #2, or #2's sear into #1.
That would be why each part was numbered, but since few were apparently made it seems logical that the numbers would be assigned in the sequence made.

And if theirs are numbered, most museums would want that info for identification in case of theft, etc.

Flayderman lists muzzle loaders by the Henry's of PA but no breechloaders.

Dose anyone have Grant's 'Single Shot Rifles' volumes?

#13 ·
Now you can see what I am talking about. I can find stuff on the older Henry's but not this type. They must have some collectability but how do you find out what kind of value to put on it. I mean the condition alone has to be a big plus. You can't see it to well in the picture but the case hardening on the frame is in great shape. This is a great site by the way and I appreciate all the help you folks are offering me.

#18 ·
Can anyone tell me why some of my pictures disappeared? Did I do something wrong?
Thanks.
I see a total of 8 pictures Big Ralph so they are certainly here.

Try emptying the cache in your browser then reload the page.

#23 ·
Big Ralph, You HAVE to get a hold of one of the premier gun auction houses. You could be sitting on something worth 10's of thousands. I'll see if I can find you some contact info.

#25 ·
I sent you 3 places to check with Big Ralph. Do that first. Let us know what they say :)
The places I gave you info on are interested in getting the highest possible price they can for it because their profit is based on a commission % of the sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.