Henry U.S.Survival

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

Cop369
    (2/6/03 4:50:39 pm)
    Reply Henry U.S.Survival
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any one have any opionons on the Henry US Survival. It looks like a nice little rifle and i like the fact that you can take it apart and put the barrel and trigger housing in the rear of the stock( tht would come in handy when camping/hiking). any opinions before i buy

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 5:44:10 pm)
    Reply Re: Henry U.S.Survival
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got one of the originals (AR-7) made by Charter Arms - it resides in the tool box of the pickup bed as an emergency firearm. It is reasonably accurate, as long as you hold the range to 50 yds and under. Sights are a little crude, but that comes with emergency type firearms. Mine has a preference for high velocity cartridges with metal gilded bullets for best functioning.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

gram22
    (2/6/03 5:57:05 pm)
    Reply Re: Henry U.S.Survival
    I have never touched one, but I keep noticing them at the local sporting goods store and Wal-Mart. They are priced pretty good, at about $160. Not the most attractive rimfire rifle, but it looks like it serves it's purpose.

wonderwhippet
    (2/7/03 5:22:27 pm)
    Reply Henry Survival Rifle
    As you probably know, this rifle used to be the AR-17 made by Armalite. The frame is made of aluminum, and is responsible for real problems with this weapon. I have owned two of them, and a third one has passed through my hands, and my experience is that it is a true "survival rifle." After shooting as few as 50 rounds they begin to malfunction due to the pounding and deforming of the aluminum frame. I suppose some of them can go a few hundred rounds before this happens, but I regard this a something to save your life in the woods (if it is new or near new) and to be disposed of after shooting a box or two of ammo. So if you think this is a nice rifle to take out plinking from time to time you will be very disappointed after a while. Instead, you should consider the Marlin Papoose, which is a much better rifle and it will go on shooting for thousands of rounds.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/03 8:35:56 pm)
    Reply Re: Henry Survival Rifle
    Hmmmm..........

That's a sad thing to hear.

My AR-7 was well used when I got it - and I've put around 5 bricks of ammo thru it (2,500 rounds of hi-vel) and it gets a good cleaning once in a while. Works just fine the last time I tried it. Does have a small, hairline crack in the stock just behind the receiver, but nothing that keeps it from functioning.

Think I'll keep it and pass on the Marlins for a while.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 1:57:52 pm)
    ezSupporter
    kbubba

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

2. DVUSWAZ

DVUSWAZ Guest

I have owned (3) of the Henry Survival Arms rifles, and one previous Charter Arms AR-7. I shot the heck out of all of them, and used them for trading fodder. Always got back what I paid for them. Only ever had one problem with the Charter Arms version, The bolt acuator pin fell out and I had to replace it. Jack First gun parts in Utah? saved the day. No cracking of the frames or nothing. My first one probably had 3 bricks through it. Accuracy was good to very good up to 100 yards. After that, find a scope. I recommended one to my best friend recently and I saw It has a groove for a scope base. Very cool. Now I want another one. LOL :D