Here is a story that I would like to share with you...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/26/02 10:18:43 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Here is a story that I would like to share with you...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Many years ago Phillip (my brother, now deceased) worked as a "sidewalk" portrait artist and caricaturist at The Cave Of The Winds (a tourist attraction) in Colorado Springs.

The "Cave" had a PA system that they used for advertisements, messages, etc. When not otherwise in use and as "background" they played a tune over and over. I always thought that it was a very nice, even great, melody and it stuck in my mind and memory over the years. It was not a common tune and I only heard it once again, this time at a restaurant in Bozeman, MT, (known at that time as "Fredrick's", located on N. 7th.) where it was played over
    the Muzak system. However, I could never identify the tune
    nor was anyone ever able help me identify it.

As time passed it became a project (obession?) of mine to identify this tune. I listened to countless hours of music on the radio, not only because I love music, but also in hopes that I might identify this rare (to me) tune. When on an elevator (yeah--elevator music) I would pay attention that
    I might again hear it. The tune came to my mind every time that I heard music playing anywhere. However, I never heard it again--until yesterday.

I love old LP albums--scratches, hisses, pops and all--and have collected hundreds, even thousands, of these that I have kept to this day. However, I have listened to only a small portion of the vast number that I have. In my mind I kept thinking that the melody that I was looking for just had to be recorded somewhere in that huge pile of LP's. Last year I started a systematic search of all of these albums. I vowed to myself to listen to every tune on each and every album until I had listened to them all or until I identified the melody that rang so frequently in my memory. And so I started this daunting project.

Like I said: "Obsession!"

Yesterday, I played a recording of this tune. When I again heard the melody for the first time in decades, my mind was flooded with vivid and colorful memories of events, people, places and things from many years ago. It was as though the sounds had flipped my "memory" switch for a particuar "channel" to the "Open" position. All in all my successful quest for the tune that haunted my memory for so long was a very pleasurable experience.

The name of the tune is Valencia. The arrangement that I discovered on the old LP was recorded by Mantovani, however, this is not the arrangement that played at "The Cave". Regardless, the Mantovani recording did allow me to identify the melody. I have found several other arrangements since.

I have attached a link to a MIDI file of this melody if you would like to hear it.

LINK

Edited by: NeoDebo at: 3/26/02 10:24:08 pm

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 10:29:37 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Here is a story that I would like to share with you...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tune seems VERY familiar. Is it my imagination, or do I remember hearing it on the soundtrack of a movie or two?

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 10:30:00 pm)
    debo, have you tried this?

www.audiogalaxy.com/list/...a&x=11&y=5

The montovani version on page 2. I suspect there are other songs with the same name in there, but probably several recordings of your tune. I found this website a few months ago, now have about 10 gigs of downloads, which I'm in the process of pruning and burning favorites to CD. Th internet is amazing...I found songs from a Boston-based band, that played at high-school dances, that I haven't heard in 30 years.

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/27/02 7:24:58 am)
    Re: hammer4nc

I am a novice when it come to manipulating sound files on the computer/internet.

A question: I would like to create a digitial sound file that I could store, copy, play, etc., on a computer from a cassette tape that I own.

How would I do this?

Thanks!

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/28/02 7:36:03 pm)
    debo,

While I've DOWNloaded lots of songs, I have never tried creating digital files from analog sources. Here's my best (untested) shot, though, maybe another member who is more of an expert, can chime in.

Your computer sound card has speaker output jack, mic input jack, maybe a line input jack. Plug the headphone output from your cassette recorder (or stereo line output), to the mic or line input on the sound card. Radio shack sells the cable if you don't have one.

A "sound recorder" program is probably in your computer. Mine was found at PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>ENTERTAINMENT>SOUND RECORDER.

After selecting the program, just hit "record" while cueing the cassette source. Now, you've just created the wav format file, that you can playback, name and save to hard disk.

Now, to convert to mp3 (compressed) format, need a "ripper" program...many are available; try this list: www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/CD_BURNERS/

If your computer has a CDR or CDRW drive, can create your own custom CD's! The utility on my computer is SUPER simple to use. BTW, blank CDR's (one time record only) sell for about $0.50ea in bulk, 80 minutes music time on each disk. Blank CDRW's (erasable) are slightly more.

Note: On my last trip to Best Buy, noticed that there are TONS of software programs for manipulating audio files...some apparently giving recording-studio type features to the novice. I don't know how much better they are than the plain-jane utilities that came with my computer. (Anyone?)

I'm experimenting with recording books on tape, which are also available on the audiogalaxy site I gave above.

Hope this helps, experts feel free to add more information!

timberbeast
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/29/02 9:42:27 am)
    Neat story, Debo! Try poking around at musician's friend.com, or maybe musiciansfriend.com, hell some combination will work! They have lots of pro recording gear, some for computer, some stand-alone, as well as software. I have a Roland digital workstation. Converting alalog to digital or vice-versa is no big thing. All CD recorders (stand alone) can do it, as well as any digital recorder. Just promise ya won't "steal" anything that isn't allowed to be copied from the artists, copyright owners or publishing rights owners. Musicians work damn hard for their money, and for all but a few, it isn't much money!! I know, I starved for years (probably 'cause I'm no good, but it takes time to realize that!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.