Here you go, our legal system at work.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/10/01 11:10:36 pm)
    | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Here you go, our legal system at work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Never been much of a cut-and-paste artist, but this kinda struck a nerve:

Ahhhh-the beauty of the American legal system
    *************************************************************************************************

In 1994, a New Mexico jury awarded $ 2.9 million in damages to 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who suffered third-degree burns to her legs, groin and buttocks after spilling a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself.

This case inspired an annual award - The "Stella" Award -for the most frivolous lawsuit in the U.S. The ones listed below are clear candidates.

All these cases are verging on the outright ridiculous and yet (in the good old USA) with the right attorney you could win anything! (re: O. J. - both trials!)

1. January 2000: Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little creep was Ms. Robertson's son.

2. June 1998: A 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car, when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

3. October 1998: A Terrence Dickson of Bristol Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

4. October 1999: Jerry Williams of Little Rock Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in it's owner's fenced-in yard, as was Mr. Williams. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog may have been provoked by Mr. Williams who, at the time, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

5. May 2000: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

6. December 1997: Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

7. And just so you know that cooler heads do occasionally prevail: Kenmore Inc., the makers of Dorothy Johnson's microwave, were found not liable for the death of Mrs. Johnson's poodle after she gave it a bath and attempted
    to dry it by putting the poor creature in her microwave for, "just a few minutes, on low." The case was quickly dismissed.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

A Professional
    (11/11/01 1:05:21 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Here you go, our legal system at work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think im gonna go shoot myself in the foot, then sue Beretta. There's nothing in the manual about pointing it at your foot and pulling the trigger. You'd think they warn you about that.

Now who was that laywer who helped OJ....

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/11/01 8:11:17 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Here you go, our legal system at work.
    My "Shark Skin" Suit was stolen at a Motel!
    My lawyer questioned me....."Did your suit vanish
    while in the motel's swimming pool?"
    Yes, I exclaimed.
    He said, "couldn't have been me I don't swim in that pool."
    Charlie D
    I knew it cudn't havn bin him, he
    stays "Tanked" ALL tha time....

walrus1432
    (11/11/01 9:51:12 pm)
    You know...you've just gotta feel sorry for some of those poor idiots. But I don't think awarding them money will help them overcome their case of having no brains...
    Heck...out of all of them...#4 vexed me the most! We had a neighborhood boy, who used to be a friend of mine in elementary school, consistently use our family beagle as target practice for his bb gun while our dog was chained to our house...
    funny thing is he obviously was a terrible shot for it seems there were more dents in the side of our house then in our dog! And the dog couldn't go anywhere!
    So, my thought is in those cases...instead of settlements or payment, some sort of punishment is in order...maybe chain the jerk in #4 in a fenced in area and use him for pellet gun target practice...or better yet...to test the accuracy on my dad's SKS (thought he'd get a kick out of that!)
    but really...can you believe those people? and there are jokes about Poloks and Blondes???

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/11/01 10:28:50 pm)
    Yeah, I almost forgot about that, Miss, and "Little Joey" is out of jail (temporarily, for all probability) and back in the neighborhood, which is why I keep Tinker (the same dog, he's about 13 years old, now, and more intelligent than that kid who's like 20...)in the house more often than not, and shells near the '97...

He also used to shoot bottle rockets at him, made him gunshy, (which shooting the 44s occasionally in the backyard doesn't help either, I know,) EXCEPT when I hunted him, which is rarely any more...

He HATES the 4th and New Years Eve, the only time Mom let's him hide in the bedroom...

But can I sue Eibar? The 400 bit me tonite, see CR for the gory details....

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/01 7:41:08 am)
    The jury award against McDonalds was later reduced greatly by an
    appellate court.
    I blame dumb jurors as much as the legal system. Maybe we ought
    to have an IQ test before one can serve as a juror. Oh, but that would be
    unconstitutional. Also, many of those
    "supposed"awards are made up "urban legands."

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/12/01 3:26:29 pm)
    Southern, I agree !!!! I don't remember exactly but the McDonalds case was also there fault when they went against the manufacturer instructions on how hot to keep the coffee. Mcdonalds kept it hot like that so they could either brew more or keep more hot coffee available. It burnt the skin right off of the lady's thighs and her private area. She under went many skin graphs.

Confused? Don't be so sure.

BlackGun
    (11/12/01 3:59:56 pm)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.