The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the damage that can be caused by dry firing the revolver alot of times? is it just the chamber?

john

·
Registered
840 Posts
Each chamber in the cylinder and the firing pin can be damaged. Some guns dry firing just one time can cause damage. I've turned down 22s that showed evidence of dry firing. One revolver had big dents in each chamber and the hammer mounted firing pin had a chip out of it.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but of course when theres empty 22 casings in the cylinder it wont hurt anything when dry fired right?

·
Registered
840 Posts
but of course when theres empty 22 casings in the cylinder it wont hurt anything when dry fired right?
As long as you rotate them so the firing pin doesn't keep hitting the same spot.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i priced a 22 magnum cylinder and its only $30 dollars. shot the gun yesterday and its very accurate. thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Good to hear your gun is "up and running", gun runner.
As far as dry fireing it, I have a Ruger single six that I accidently dry fired and one time is all it took. Put a nice dent into the outters of the cylinder rim, like a burr.

I loaned the gun out one time to a person I thought that would know better about dry firing the revolver and it came back with about all 6 cylinders pinged up!

Emty caseings are ok to use, and like said above, rotate every time. I keep a bunch of emty .22 caseings areound for just such practice.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Good to hear your gun is "up and running", gun runner.
As far as dry fireing it, I have a Ruger single six that I accidently dry fired and one time is all it took. Put a nice dent into the outters of the cylinder rim, like a burr.

I loaned the gun out one time to a person I thought that would know better about dry firing the revolver and it came back with about all 6 cylinders pinged up!

Emty caseings are ok to use, and like said above, rotate every time. I keep a bunch of emty .22 caseings areound for just such practice.
ALL TRUE.

My dad had old (circa 1920s) .22 rifle, after years of my younger brothers dry firing it once in awhile it did a number on it.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually i meant its inaccurate, its a piece of junk and cannot be used for a home defense weapon maybe as a club but nothing else, it shoots towards the bottom left every time. i looked through reviews and every review on the heritage rough rider is negative and everyone is having the bad accuracy problems like what im having, i should of researched the revolver before i bought it. you couldnt even hit a barn door 5 feet away. im not wasting any more .22 magnum ammo on it anymore, it stays in my closet to be never used again. i wouldnt sell it to a person because that would be a sin.
.i shot revolvers before and they were 50 times more accurate than the heritage. i should of bought a ruger convertible if i wanted to invest in a 22 mag/22lr 6 shot revolver.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
sorry to hear about you experience with your Rough Rider. I have one and find it to be very accurate. I shoot with the sights and also instinctive from the hip. I thought it was inaccurate also when using the sight but my hip shooting led me to believe diffrent. after redoing the front sight to make it contrast better, I finf the inaccuracy to be from the front sight "disappearing" into the rear sight!

I you really hate it that bad maybe you would work a deal on it for a "Poor Fella"? then I would have a pair!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts